ERROR_IO_DEVICE(0x8007045d) when installing Windows 7 SP1

Anonymous
2011-03-01T09:12:25+00:00

I have tried to auto update Windows 7 several times and to no avail. I have now downloaded SP1 for Win 7 and i copied the file to the desktop. and still it gives me the same error. this netbook is brand new not even a month old and it also tells me my copy of windows is not genuine which isn't true this is factory installed bought from best buy WTF? please help I am pulling my hair out.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-01T09:51:36+00:00

8007045d = "ERROR_IO_DEVICE - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

possibly your hard disk is going bad. run a full chkdsk as follows:

open "My Computer".

right click drive C:, select "Properties".

click tab "Tools"

click "Check now"

check *both* check-boxes, and click start.

follow instructions to restart windows.

before Windows reloads, it will run a full chkdsk, which might take an hour or more. take note of any significant errors reported: if it says it has replaced bad clusters in files, those files might now be corrupt.

if there are very many errors, you shoud consider backing up your data files, reformatting, and installing a fresh version of windows.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-24T16:34:41+00:00

    hi it says hard disk cannot be checked if it is in use

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-13T18:22:50+00:00

    I have the same problem: message "I/O device error" when I try to back up my computer.

    I am using an external hard drive, which has worked like a charm doing back ups for months. Each new back up replaces the old.

    It was a great thing to do because when this notebook was only two months old, the harddrive died.

    After the new one was installed, using the back up was a breeze to reinstall windows and all my software as well. So, I really know the importance of having a backup.

    But it won't back up now: I get the error message "i/o device error" with the same exact code: 0x8007045d.

    I googled i/o device error and I'm not still sure what that means.

    There is no clear simple explanation at least that I can grasp.

    So I am open to any suggestions and wonder if the suggestion by jose Antonio will help my situation also? I ust want to get it back to being able to back up.

    Also -- I don't know if this means anything, but now 4 percent of my system is fragmented. All the other parts are 0 percent fragmented. When I try to defrag the system, it won't even analyze.

    Is this all related?

    thanks for any help/suggestions/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-12T09:21:16+00:00

    I ended up doing a system restore on the netbook which had a hidden system partition that I found which had the system recover tools on it.  That for me was the only way to resolve this problem and it hasn't come back.

    Thank you for the help however, the best solution seems to be the last resort of reinstalling.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments