Issue re-using a SSD that was in a storage pool

Russell Wade 21 Reputation points
2021-03-07T10:18:55.723+00:00

I have a 1TB SATA SSD that was used in a Storage Pool in Windows 10, but was not correctly removed from the pool and it isn't possible now to do that. I want to use it as a regular SSD but the drive is not visible in Disk Management or in DISKPART to initialise or partition it. It shows in the BIOS and is listed when I use the Get-PhysicalDisk command in Powershell, but doesn't show up using Get-Disk or Get-Volume. With Get-PhysicalDisk it shows as Healthy, with the correct size and description. I tried 'Clean' which appeared to run OK but still didn't let me see or use the disk in Windows. I have tried loads of suggestion from other more mainsteam forums without success so I thought I'd try here where there are hopefully more experts (I am not an IT expert, just a regular interested amateur home user). Is there any way to make this drive work or have I bricked it?

If I've posted this in the wrong place please let me know. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Windows 10
Windows 10
A Microsoft operating system that runs on personal computers and tablets.
10,986 questions
{count} votes

Accepted answer
  1. Xiaowei He 9,876 Reputation points
    2021-03-08T08:49:55.7+00:00

    Hi,

    but was not correctly removed from the pool and it isn't possible now to do that.

    Would you please tell us what is the operations you did on the disk to remove it from the Storage pool?

    Would you please provide the screenshot of the get-physicaldisk and highlight the SSD.

    Thanks for your time!
    Best Regards,
    Anne


    If the Answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Russell Wade 21 Reputation points
    2021-03-15T09:26:36.603+00:00

    Hello again. In fact I managed to fix this by retrieving the other disk that was in the pool. After I connected it, the pool showed up normally and then I could delete the pool correctly. After that, both disks were again usable as standalone disks. After some more online research I found that "Reset-PhysicalDisk" was probably the command I needed, but in the end it was not necessary.

    Thanks for your help.

    0 comments No comments