Various Windows functions no longer work on several Windows computers:
- Windows Search; it is no longer possible to open the start menu and enter a word
- Windows Updates; When I open the Windows Updates view in Computer Settings, only the three dots appear. It does not stop loading anymore.
- It is no longer possible to open the mail settings in Control Panel; Outlook does not work too
- Firefox does not work; can't open a web page
- Edge can open web pages but can't download files correctly
- In Computer Settings > Network & Internet, the Ethernet section has disappeared. The proxy section cannot be opened.
One of these computers was only set up with Windows 10 20H2 on April 6, 2021.
Edition: Windows 10 Education
OS build: 19042.928
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
The event log contains the following suspicious entry:
The WinHTTP-Web Proxy Auto-Discovery-Service service terminated with the following service-specific error:
Access is denied.
Event ID: 7024
So, the WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service (WinHttpAutoProxySvc) no longer works.
We tried to start the service manually (as admin):
- In services.msc > right click => everything is greyed out
- sc start winhttpautoproxysvc => sc query winhttpautoproxysvc => state = 1 stopped
- net start winhttpautoproxysvc => A service specific error occured: 5.
If the service is disabled via registry, the above Windows functions work again.
We took the following further steps:
- We have tried to repair Windows with dism and sfc (via Windows Update and offline image).
- We have uninstalled drivers and programs.
- We compared WinHttpAutoProxySvc's registry entries with the entries on a working Windows. Everything looks the same.
Does anyone else have any ideas? How can we find out where the service does not have access?