Windows deactivated after update

Anonymous
2025-03-01T05:24:58+00:00

So I have not updated for a couple months until yesterday (28/02/2025) I decided to finally update. It was a pretty lengthy update but I'm no expert so I didn't think much of it, probably just a major update or something.

It was when the update was complete and I was looking though my photos for a new background picture that it told me that my windows needs activating for personalization. I have bought my computer pre-built that came with windows home already activated, I had no issues for the entire year or so of use with windows activation.

I did a bit of research on the issue and have tried a few methods of which none has worked. I first tried re-entering the product key but it says that I "don't have a valid digital license or product key". I used ShowKeyPlus to check the product key edition and it says that it's for a "win 10 rtm core:nonslip", I'm not sure if that's normal because from another case I found of a similar issue also says that when they used ShowKeyPlus on windows 11

I have also tried using the code "slmgr /rilc" in cmd run under admin which is suppose to "reload license configuration files", whatever that means. I then restarted and it did nothing.

The only other possible cause may be the changing of RAM sticks? My computer had an issue in Nov/Dec 2024 with memory management but that was sorted out by the company's warranty, but they used the same model RAM from the same manufacturers. That and also I do remember updating at least once shortly after getting my computer back from them and it didn't have any issues with windows activation.

My next attempt will be getting my laptop an see if it also has windows 11 home, and if so, I'll try searching for it's product key and see if I can transfer the license over.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-03-01T16:01:55+00:00

No worries, there's no PII in this screenshot.

You have OEM-COA-NSLP license.

This type of license is for builders who don't have capability like big OEM companies (Dell, HP, etc) to embed OEM license to motherboard. So it works like a retail license, but builders must put the sticker on the device that it came with. Look for this sticker on the device somewhere. Typically it is on the back of the PC tower. When you find it, you will see the license key on it.

Then go to Settings > System > Activation > Change product key, key in the license key and it should do the trick.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T03:05:26+00:00

    hahahahaha!! I can't believe that worked! Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T16:00:17+00:00

    Here you go. Not sure if there's any sensitive information shown but if there is please let me know so I can hide it. Also, I have yet to use a different product key.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-03-01T06:18:07+00:00

    Hello.

    Can you please type cmd in the search on the taskbar and hit enter to launch command prompt, then run the following command:

    slmgr /dlv

    Then share a screenshot please. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments