Can't get to home screen

Anonymous
2021-01-16T05:47:08+00:00

Im trying to log on to my computer. This has been happening for awhile, but everytime I completely shut off my computer and turn it back on to get into Windows, it takes an extremely frustrating long time to get to my home page. This time, I shut down my computer for a small windows update.

When I boot up my laptop, it always infinitely loads at the Welcome loading screen after I enter in my correct password. It's taken an hour or so in the past everytime for my laptop to get past this Welcome screen, but today, it's taken 8 hours straight. So I'm done trying, and am asking for help. Ive restarted my laptop three times or so by holding down the button to try and fix it, still nothing.

I looked online for answers, and saw booting it from Safe Mode by holding Shift works. So after gettinf into the Troubleshoot menu, it gives you a bunch of options, so I pressed F5 to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. I put in my password after it restarts, and its STILL stuck at the Welcome page for 30 minutes now

I read something about completely resetting your laptop or reinstalling Windows 10, but will I lose everything if I do that? Will that even fix the problem? Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-16T07:15:25+00:00

Now that you tell me that an Admin account on the PC will start and function fine, but your personal account won't, this sounds like account corruption.

You can try to fix you account by running the Repair Install from the Admin account. If the Repair Install doesn't fix your account, or you don't want to bother with that, then you can create a new Local Admin account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other Users, as shown here: http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-...

Sign into the new account, test that it runs fine for as long as you want, if so then when ready move your files over, test that all programs work or else reinstall them.

You can also run a Repair Install which will sometimes fix the old account: Install the Media Creation Tool from this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m..., choosing Download Tool Now, install the tool, open it and choose Upgrade this PC Now. . This will save your files and apps while bringing you up to the latest version by the most stable method. It will also bring all of your Updates current and solve most problems since it reinstalls Windows.

If not then when ready delete the old account by one of these methods:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

You can then change the new account to your Microsoft account if desired:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

I'm not sure why you have an Admin account in addition to your personal account. If you own the PC you should be the Admin in your MS Account. If the Admin account is the hidden built-in Admin account then you should hide it again after you finish this as it is not meant to be used except in case of emergencies: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you'll wait to rate whether my post resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

______________________________________________

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-17T07:44:48+00:00

I'm delighted to hear it. Let me know if there's anything else.

Also when ready please mark the post which helped most as the Answer (or Resolved), to help others. A rating is also appreciated.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-17T07:14:17+00:00

    After completing the Repair Install process, and after reinstalling Windows 10, I am now back on my main account typing to you now. It took most of the day to reinstall, but I'm very happy that the problem is fixed. Thank you so much for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-16T06:26:03+00:00

    Hi Vanifer. I'm Greg, awarded MVP for eleven years, Volunteer Moderator, and Independent Advisor here to help you until this is resolved.

    Once you get to the desktop, you can try a Repair Install which reinstalls WIndows while saving your files and apps in place, brings it up to the latest version by the most stable method, takes about an hour, resolves most problems: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    If that doesn't help there's an automated Reset which can save your files only, you'll need to reinstall Apps which I can help you with: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows.... But your files should still be backed up at all times if you value them at all. I'll give you pointers for doing this easily at the end of this post.

    If that doesn't work then we should run some diagnostics on your hardware to see if the hard drive and RAM have issues. If not then you may need to wipe the hard drive and do the gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    The Clean Install is a great learning experience that makes you permanently the master of your PC because you learn everything that works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    If you can find a stable mode now and would rather try to repair it first then go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files, and also Step 16 to test a new Local Admin account. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

    Update your drivers and BIOS/UEFI firmware from PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page, using the full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker. Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.

    Updating drivers from the Device Manager or Windows Update is rarely enough. The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain a PC is keep the latest manufacturer's drivers installed from their Support Downloads web page.

    If those don't work then I'd do the Repair Install first and the others in order if it doesn't work.

    File Backup -

    Your files should always be backed up because a hard drive can die at any time without notice. Some suggestions to help ease into this habit:

    1. You can sync your Desktop, Documents and Pictures folder using OneDrive Backup, or just drag valuable files into OneDrive folder, offering 5gb free with additional space for cheap: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/116029-turn...
    2. Google Drive has a new Backup that allows you to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15gb for free to their cloud in real time so it always has the latest version. https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/drive/dow...
    3. In addition I'd have an on-site hard copy backup. The best way to do this is to sort all of your files into their User folders and then drag or copy them to another hard drive, USB external or flash drive. Here's how to drag, copy or move large groups of files: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...
    4. Besides your files you should save a System Image back up to use in place of reinstall in 20 minutes. The best free alternative is Macrium: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-ref... You can even use the Macrium program to mount and extract files from this image so it can serve as both image and file backup too.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-16T06:58:25+00:00

    Hey there Greg,

    I appreciate you for your timely reply and the work that you do.

    I'm understanding all of your steps, however, I can't get to the desktop at all to download any files because of the Welcome screen loading infinitely. 

    The thing is, I WAS able to log on to my desktop, same apps and all as an Administrator just fine after some loading. From there, I wondered if I'd be able to log on to my personal account to see if it would let me in, but no luck. I cant login to my account still, and it is indeed loading infinitely at the Welcome screen right now.

    That being said, if I were to follow through these steps on the administrator account after I shut down, would everything still be possible to fix?

    I also definitely agree with your advice about backing up. Cant depend on OneDrive forever haha.  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments