Windows Defender Firewall blocking OneDriveFile Co-Authoring Executable

Anonymous
2022-06-01T14:10:43+00:00

Hi,

I recently (re-)started using OneDrive Sync. Now I see this popup:

Can anyone explain why I am getting this? Why would Defender Firewall be blocking another Microsoft utility? And should I allow this or not? Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks!

  • Bill.
Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-15T00:53:53+00:00

    Hi Elise, this is an ok response, but could you please provide a little more detail and perhaps a link if there is one to an Official https://support.microsoft.com/ page please? Clearly filecoauth.exe is a Microsoft executable and its Microsoft Defender that's blocked it for a reason, so be good to understand what the risk is before simply clicking the "Allow access" button. Many thanks I've also got this popping up now so good to get a tiny bit more detail please. Many thanks Geoff

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-01T14:52:53+00:00

    Hi, I'm Elise, and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

    The firewall will often still try to block Microsoft applications if they are newly installed and try to access out to the internet. This particular app is related to sharing files with others and working on them at the same time, so you can allow this with no issues.

    Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

    Kind Regards,

    Elise

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-20T12:43:15+00:00

    Hello,

    Maybe late answer but that issue came because allow one drive is unticked for your private network.

    Best

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-31T10:21:55+00:00

    Dear All,

    I would also be happy to get an official feedback from Microsoft Corporation - who can provide this now?

    Best,

    Jorn

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-22T09:02:50+00:00

    Hi Geoff and Elise : Onedrive is a Microsoft program included on operating system ! Why some computers now get this kind of Alert ? is it a bug of current onedrive version ? And you see you need admin right to allow this exe. Clicking on Cancel, automaticaly block exe....oh no !!!!

    Thank you for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments