Server Licensing and RDS licenses

Mike Osborn 1 Reputation point


i am quoting for new client and would just like to know following

Do i need a Windows Server CAL as well as a RDS CAL for the same user ?

ie I have 20 users connecting to the Main Server and 10 different users connecting only via the RDS
Do i need 20 Windows Server CAL's and 10 RDS CAL's
30 Windows Server CALS' and 10 RDS CAL's


Windows Server
Windows Server
A family of Microsoft server operating systems that support enterprise-level management, data storage, applications, and communications.
9,439 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Dave Patrick 351.5K Reputation points MVP

    Yes, you'll need both.

    • User CALs allow a single user access to Windows Server from an unlimited number of devices
    • Device CALs allow an unlimited number of users to access Windows Server from a single device

    --please don't forget to upvote and Accept as answer if the reply is helpful--

  2. Limitless Technology 37,746 Reputation points

    Hello MikeOsborn

    You only need CALs for RDS connections. The licensing type highly depends on the method of using the CALs, either Per-Computer or Per-User.

    If you have different users which use the same computers you would prefer to have Per-computer type.
    If you have few users that connect from random computers or devices you´d prefer Per-User.

    I can share a more explanative post, with community answers in this regard:

    Also the next Microsoft information:
    A Guide to Assessing Windows Server Licensing

    If you have questions, I would recommend confirming with Microsoft,
    use the "Contact a Specialist" link on the right side of this page,

    Hope this helps with your query,

    --If the reply is helpful, please Upvote and Accept as answer--

    0 comments No comments