Not Receiving System Generated emails

Vin 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T20:16:43.6633333+00:00

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that I've stopped receiving system generated emails (e.g. one time pass codes) from various companies on my Hotmail account

I know my emails work otherwise as I do still receive them and am able to send emails.

This issue is on the mobile app, various browsers, desktop app.

I've checked my junk folders/spam/etc. and not there

I've even added the senders email to the safe senders list but still no difference.

I need these emails as it's stopping me from logging into my accounts.

Please Help!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-28T20:16:59.3866667+00:00

    Since this happens across Outlook.com on the web, mobile, and desktop, the filtering is likely happening on the Outlook.com service rather than on a single device.

    Try these checks in Outlook.com:

    1. Check Other if Focused Inbox is enabled. Messages can land there instead of Inbox.
    2. Check Junk Email settings and the Junk Email folder again. If a message is found there, mark it as Not junk.
    3. Check Rules to make sure no rule is moving, deleting, or redirecting these messages.
    4. Check whether email forwarding is enabled.
    5. Add the sender address or domain to Safe senders and domains and save the change.
    6. Check Deleted Items and Archive in case messages are being routed away from Inbox.

    Important limits and behaviors:

    • Adding a sender to Safe senders helps reduce spam filtering, but it does not always guarantee delivery for automated or system-generated messages.
    • If the messages are not arriving at all, the sender’s email system may be failing Microsoft’s authentication or reputation checks. In that case, the sender must fix their email configuration on their side.
    • A temporary workaround is to ask the sender to use a different sending address or use a different non-Microsoft email address for those one-time codes until the sender fixes delivery.

    If the issue is with verification codes specifically, also check these points:

    • Don’t make excessive or repeated code requests, because that can temporarily block code delivery.
    • If the code is sent by email, check Junk for messages from @accountprotection.microsoft.com and mark that sender as trusted.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.