Creating a folder on Teams

Sam Hohn 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T10:50:47.9133333+00:00

Hi, I need to set up a folder on teams to share documents into. How can this be done?

From what I have researched so far I need to have a channel. To create a channel I need to associate it to a team, but to create a team I need to already own a group with less than 10000 people in order to create a team.

How can I just set up a team with just 7 people in order to share folders?

Thanks

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Files | Find and share files
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sam Hohn 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-02T14:31:34.9866667+00:00

    Hi Hin Vo,

    thank you for responding.

    this is what I receive when I try to create a team, via how you explained. I think my organisation must restrict permissions, so it is okay.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Hin Vo 1,190 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T11:23:45.8533333+00:00

    Hi @Sam Hohn

    If your goal is simply to share documents with 7 people, you do not need a 10,000-member group. You can create a Team and add the 7 members directly, provided that your organization allows Team creation. If you are unable to create a Team, it may be due to a permission restriction configured by your Microsoft 365 administrator.

    You may want to check with your administrator to verify whether your account has permission to create Teams within your tenant. Once a Team has been created, you can create a folder for sharing documents by following these steps:

    Open Microsoft Teams.

    Create a new Team channel > Add members who need access.

    User's image

    Open the General channel (no need to create an additional channel unless desired).

    Go to the Shared tab.

    Select New > Folder > Create.

    User's image

    Upload your documents into the folder. Files stored in a channel are backed by SharePoint and are accessible to team members with permission.

    I hope this helps. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.