Azure Database for PostgreSQL: Unexpected PgBouncer Restarts Outside Maintenance Window

Jon 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T22:12:55.7033333+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing unexpected restarts of the built-in PgBouncer layer on my Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server. These restarts occur outside the scheduled maintenance window and are causing significant service disruptions, including disconnection of clients and a sharp drop in connection counts.

Environment

Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server with built-in PgBouncer enabled, located in an unspecified region.

What I've already tried

I have enabled and reviewed PgBouncer diagnostic logs through Azure Monitor, counted and timestamped process-up events, and compared these with PostgreSQL logs. I also checked server metrics around restart times and confirmed that no server-level operations such as restart, update, or failover occurred during these events.

Current status

I am seeking guidance on whether such PgBouncer restarts are expected outside planned maintenance, the root cause of these restarts, and recommended steps to prevent or mitigate their impact.

Azure Database for PostgreSQL
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.