Core component of SQL Server for storing, processing, and securing data
SQL Server: Index creation and conversion issues with columnstore indexes — Encountering internal query processor errors
Problem description
I am experiencing issues when creating or converting indexes on a table with existing data in SQL Server running on an Azure VM. Specifically, when I attempt to create or modify clustered columnstore indexes with options like DATA_COMPRESSION = COLUMNSTORE or changing to a clustered index with DROP_EXISTING and DATA_COMPRESSION = PAGE, the operation fails in many cases. The error returned is an internal query processor error: "The query processor could not obtain access to a required interface." The failure occurs both when creating the index from scratch and during conversions involving DROP_EXISTING. I have tried recreating the table with minimal data, and the issue persists even with a single row. The environment is SQL Server 2022, but the issue also occurs in SQL Server 2025. I have also checked for any related memory or DOP warnings, but none are reported. The table in question has no constraints or duplicates, and the process fails during index operations on a table with data, regardless of the data size.
Environment
The affected environment is SQL Server on a Windows virtual machine in Azure. The table is named [dbo].[table], and the server is running SQL Server 2022 or 2025 with the specified build. The issue occurs when creating or altering indexes on this table with existing data.
What I've already tried
I have attempted recreating the table with a small number of rows and reproducing the issue. The problem occurs even with a single row. I have not observed any SQL Server or Windows Event Viewer errors related to memory or tempdb during index creation. I also performed a backup and restore to test with a clean environment. No constraints or dependencies are involved, and the table's structure is well-defined without duplicates.
Current status
Currently, I am unable to determine whether this is a bug in SQL Server or a specific environmental issue. I am seeking guidance on how to gather more detailed diagnostic information, such as the exact error messages, the SQL Server version details, and the behaviors during index creation and conversion. Any suggestions on further troubleshooting steps or potential workarounds would be appreciated.