Need HELP ASAP

Nicole James 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T20:23:46.3033333+00:00

Subject: URGENT — Microsoft Authenticator Rejects All Instagram Codes After Extensive Troubleshooting

Hello Microsoft Support Community,

I am requesting further technical assistance with Microsoft Authenticator because I am completely locked out of my personal Instagram account.

The problem:

Microsoft Authenticator generates a new six-digit verification code every 30 seconds, but Instagram rejects every code with the message:

“This code doesn’t work. Check it’s correct or try a new one.”

I have only ONE Instagram entry in Microsoft Authenticator, and I am using the same iPhone on which I originally configured the application.

Troubleshooting I have completed:

  1. Updated Microsoft Authenticator to version 6.8.56.
  2. Updated my iPhone to the latest available iOS software.
  3. Restarted my iPhone.
  4. Confirmed that Set Time Automatically is ON.
  5. Confirmed that Set Time Zone Automatically is ON.
  6. Verified that my time zone is Eastern Time (New York), which is correct for South Carolina.
  7. Tried newly generated codes immediately after they appeared.
  8. Attempted Instagram login on both my iPhone and computer.
  9. Tried Instagram’s backup recovery codes, which were also rejected.
  10. Confirmed that I have only one Instagram account listed in Microsoft Authenticator.

Additional information:

I recently traveled internationally to Japan, but my iPhone is now correctly synchronized to Eastern Time.

I have also attempted Instagram’s identity recovery process. Two friends completed the verification requests Instagram sent them, but I received no follow-up notification, and Instagram continues redirecting me to the same six-digit verification screen.

I am able to reset my Instagram password, but I cannot get past two-factor authentication.

I previously submitted a technical diagnostic report through Microsoft Authenticator.

Microsoft Feedback Reference: 49NSPWY4

I am requesting assistance with the following questions:

  1. How can I determine whether Microsoft Authenticator’s stored authentication key no longer matches Instagram’s security key?
  2. Can Microsoft diagnose whether my Authenticator app is generating valid time-based codes?
  3. Could my recent international travel or iOS update have affected the stored authentication configuration?
  4. Is there a way to repair or resynchronize my existing Instagram authentication entry without deleting it?
  5. Are there any additional diagnostic steps a Microsoft Authenticator specialist recommends?

I understand that Microsoft cannot reset Instagram’s two-factor authentication. However, I need assistance determining whether the problem originates within Microsoft Authenticator or Instagram’s authentication configuration.

Please do not recommend simply changing my time zone, reinstalling the app, or entering a fresh code, as I have already completed the applicable troubleshooting steps.

I would greatly appreciate detailed technical guidance from a Microsoft Authenticator specialist.

Thank you. Subject: URGENT — Microsoft Authenticator Rejects All Instagram Codes After Extensive Troubleshooting

Hello Microsoft Support Community,

I am requesting further technical assistance with Microsoft Authenticator because I am completely locked out of my personal Instagram account, @x_laysiaa.

The problem:

Microsoft Authenticator generates a new six-digit verification code every 30 seconds, but Instagram rejects every code with the message:

“This code doesn’t work. Check it’s correct or try a new one.”

I have only ONE Instagram entry in Microsoft Authenticator, and I am using the same iPhone on which I originally configured the application.

Troubleshooting I have completed:

  1. Updated Microsoft Authenticator to version 6.8.56.
  2. Updated my iPhone to the latest available iOS software.
  3. Restarted my iPhone.
  4. Confirmed that Set Time Automatically is ON.
  5. Confirmed that Set Time Zone Automatically is ON.
  6. Verified that my time zone is Eastern Time (New York), which is correct for South Carolina.
  7. Tried newly generated codes immediately after they appeared.
  8. Attempted Instagram login on both my iPhone and computer.
  9. Tried Instagram’s backup recovery codes, which were also rejected.
  10. Confirmed that I have only one Instagram account listed in Microsoft Authenticator.

Additional information:

I recently traveled internationally to Japan, but my iPhone is now correctly synchronized to Eastern Time.

I have also attempted Instagram’s identity recovery process. Two friends completed the verification requests Instagram sent them, but I received no follow-up notification, and Instagram continues redirecting me to the same six-digit verification screen.

I am able to reset my Instagram password, but I cannot get past two-factor authentication.

I previously submitted a technical diagnostic report through Microsoft Authenticator.

Microsoft Feedback Reference: 49NSPWY4

I am requesting assistance with the following questions:

  1. How can I determine whether Microsoft Authenticator’s stored authentication key no longer matches Instagram’s security key?
  2. Can Microsoft diagnose whether my Authenticator app is generating valid time-based codes?
  3. Could my recent international travel or iOS update have affected the stored authentication configuration?
  4. Is there a way to repair or resynchronize my existing Instagram authentication entry without deleting it?
  5. Are there any additional diagnostic steps a Microsoft Authenticator specialist recommends?

I understand that Microsoft cannot reset Instagram’s two-factor authentication. However, I need assistance determining whether the problem originates within Microsoft Authenticator or Instagram’s authentication configuration.

Please do not recommend simply changing my time zone, reinstalling the app, or entering a fresh code, as I have already completed the applicable troubleshooting steps.

I would greatly appreciate detailed technical guidance from a Microsoft Authenticator specialist.

Thank you.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-10T20:25:12.2333333+00:00

    At Instagram’s two-factor prompt, select Try another way and, if available, choose Send a login link to the registered email address or phone number; if that option is unavailable or loops back to the code screen, continue through Instagram’s official account-access process.^1^

    What the rejected codes indicate

    Microsoft Authenticator is acting as a software TOTP token. During initial setup, Instagram supplied a secret key—normally through a QR code—and Authenticator uses that key plus the current time to calculate each code.^2^

    A code can therefore look normal and change every 30 seconds even when Instagram no longer accepts it. Microsoft documents that the countdown represents the code changing every 30 seconds; it does not confirm that the service receiving the code still has the matching registration.^3^

    Because automatic time, current software, immediate entry, multiple login devices, and backup codes have already been tested, repeating those checks is unlikely to distinguish the cause.

    Answers to the specific technical questions

    • Can the stored keys be compared?
      There is no documented user-facing Microsoft or Instagram operation that displays and compares the existing secret on both sides. The Authenticator account data is stored on the device, while Instagram controls its corresponding 2FA registration.^3^
    • Can Microsoft verify that the displayed code is valid for Instagram?
      Microsoft can review submitted Authenticator diagnostic logs for app problems. Those logs remain in the app until Send feedback is selected and can contain device, operating-system, server-address, and operational diagnostic information.^3^
      The documentation does not describe a Microsoft facility that validates an Instagram code against Instagram’s stored secret. Only Instagram can accept or reject that registration.
    • Could travel have changed the key?
      TOTP code generation is based on the stored seed and time, not the displayed time-zone name. Nothing supplied establishes that the Japan trip changed the stored entry. Since the clock is now automatic and synchronized, travel alone is not a demonstrated cause.
    • Could the iOS update have changed it?
      The available documentation does not establish that an ordinary iOS update rewrites third-party TOTP credentials. It does document backup and restoration requirements, but that is relevant mainly when an app or device is restored or replaced—not merely updated.^4^
    • Can the existing entry be repaired in place?
      There is no documented user-facing method to resynchronize or replace the secret inside an existing third-party entry. Re-registration normally requires access to Instagram’s 2FA settings so Instagram can issue a new QR code or setup key.

    Safest next actions

    1. On the Instagram 2FA screen, select Try another way.
    2. If offered, select Send a login link and use the registered email address or phone number.^1^
    3. If that is unavailable or returns to the same screen, use Instagram’s official account-access form.^5^ State concisely that:
      • password reset succeeds;
      • both authenticator and backup codes are rejected;
      • friend verification completed but produced no follow-up;
      • recovery loops to the same 2FA prompt.
    4. Do not delete the Instagram entry or reinstall Authenticator. Deletion could remove the only remaining local credential without fixing Instagram’s registration.
    5. Preserve Authenticator before any device reset: on iPhone, enable iCloud Drive, iCloud Keychain, iCloud Backup, and the Authenticator toggle under Apple Account → iCloud → Saved to iCloud.^6^
    6. Since feedback was already submitted, contact Microsoft Authenticator support or its forum and provide the feedback reference. Microsoft’s supported escalation after submitting logs is Authenticator top-level menu → Send feedback, followed by Support or the Authenticator forum.^7^ Do not post the diagnostic package or personal account details publicly.

    If Instagram restores access, immediately disable and re-enable authentication-app 2FA, scan the newly issued QR code, test one generated code before signing out, and generate new backup codes.


    References

    1. I can’t login to my instagram account - Microsoft Q&A
    2. Authentication methods in Microsoft Entra ID - OATH tokens
    3. Microsoft Authenticator FAQs | Microsoft Support
    4. Restore account credentials from Microsoft Authenticator | Microsoft Support
    5. Instagram Help Center
    6. Transfer Microsoft Authenticator account entries to a new phone
    7. [Personal accounts](https://support.microsoft.com/authenticator/troubleshoot-problems-with-microsoft-authenticator)
    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.