Screen constantly colour-adjusting

Kishore Sanjayan 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T22:33:39.31+00:00

If anyone can give a clear answer as to how to get to this and fix it, that would be super helpful. Let me start off with a big disclaimer: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS SETTING (not that I was able to find the setting).

I've got an Asus ROG Strix G16 2025 model – 5060 GPU, AMD Ryzen 9HX processor.

The issue is that after starting up the computer, the screen will constantly adjust the colours depending on what is on my page or whatever is open. For example, a dark page with saturated colours will become either muddled together in colour or look dim, and then when you switch to a white page, the white is not white. It becomes grey in colour and dim, then it will adjust to the full white after a few seconds of staying on that page. Like I said, this is not an automatic brightness issue; it is literally the colours changing and adjusting on the screen. The screen doesn't darken or brighten the colours; it tends to adjust and change to be more vibrant or more dull. I'm unsure what to do because it's literally something that can be turned off but near impossible to find. I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this issue and having a hard time finding the solution to it.

I've also been up-to-date with the updates of the system and GPU driver and read quite a few online suggestions about turning off automatic brightness in the additional brightness setting but have never been able to spot a setting like that. I've also switched off HDR streaming and auto-HDR settings to see if there is any fix to the issue but yielded no results. If anyone has any ideas of what to do next and can send me some references about the issue, I'd be very grateful for the help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivan B 125.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-10T23:13:40.2233333+00:00

    Hi,

    Well, I don't think this is a software issue because I have the G16 (2026 model) and am experiencing the same problem. I tested it with Windows 10, and it doesn't happen as frequently. However, I noticed it occurs more often when the display is running on the Intel iGPU; if I switch to Nvidia, it happens less, though the color and brightness still adjust gradually.

    I know it's related to the Armoury Crate software: the problem didn't occur when I hadn't installed it, but the issue returned after I installed it following a Windows reinstallation.

    As I said, I don't think it's Windows; rather, it seems to be a hardware fault with the screen itself, as the behavior varies. I've already contacted support regarding the warranty and am waiting for a response.

    Credits: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-zephyrus-series/subject-display-flickering-and-dim-issue-on-asus-g16-gu605mi/td-p/1085637

    Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Please consider rating the question (accepting the answer or not) and visiting the Microsoft Q&A community if you have further questions.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-10T22:33:55.98+00:00

    This behavior matches content adaptive brightness and contrast on supported devices, and on Surface documentation it is described as the screen adjusting brightness and contrast based on what is displayed. It can make dark content look dimmer and white areas look gray for a moment before readjusting.

    For Windows 11, the documented setting path is:

    1. Open Start > Settings > System > Display.
    2. Select Brightness.
    3. For Change brightness based on content, set it to Off.

    Important note: turning this off can reduce battery life.

    If the display still shifts color after that, also check these Windows HDR-related items that can affect how content looks:

    1. Go to Settings > System > Display.
    2. If HDR is enabled for the display, adjust the SDR content brightness or HDR content brightness setting.
    3. If some apps do not update after changing that setting, restart the app.
    4. If Night light is on, go to Settings > System > Display > Night light and either reduce the Strength slider or select Turn off now.

    If colors are still incorrect after those checks:

    1. Make sure the latest graphics drivers are installed through Windows Update in Settings, or from the PC manufacturer’s website.
    2. If using an external HDR display over HDMI and the display supports HDR over DisplayPort, use DisplayPort instead.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.