2022 RDS Session Freezing randomly

Benjamin Anson 1 Reputation point

We are in the testing phase of upgrading to server 2022 for our RD Session hosts. We are experiencing random frozen sessions about 1-2x per day per user and the only way to unfreeze is to disconnect from the session and reopen it. The disconnect code that's shown in 'Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager/Operational' is 2147942464. The collections with 2019 session host servers are not experiencing this issue.

The connection broker is still 2019 so I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue.

Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop
A Microsoft app that connects remotely to computers and to virtual apps and desktops.
4,133 questions
{count} votes

11 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. IT-Guy-9874 86 Reputation points
    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Jon Mckeown 6 Reputation points

    This was causing us major problems on a brand new 2022 RDS Session Host. Users unable to drag tabs around in Edge and Chrome, and taskbar freezing up. Clearing out HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Microsoft\TIP\TestResults\ resolves the issue instantly.

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Benjamin Anson 1 Reputation point

    For us it ended up being our antivirus software, Vipre, it's not supported on 2022. After removing we no longer experienced random freezes.

  4. IT-Guy-9874 86 Reputation points

    We made an in-place update of a 2016 to 2022 remote desktop server and had random freeze.
    We have installed a new VM (hosted on esx) with Server 2022 std and have the same issue.
    There are 24 users.
    Not all the users at the same time. Some users have no freeze. Some users, maybe the most active, have a lot of freeze.
    We are running Eset Server Security 8.0.12011.0.

    0 comments No comments

  5. Ted Brister 1 Reputation point

    I haven't made any headway on this and it's still an issue. I ruled out AV software as above. We had did an in-place upgrade from 2019 to 2022 of a VM on Hyper-V, then a clean install on Hyper-V and it was an issue in both instances. If I find anything useful, I'll post here.