Rebuilt Exchange server, can't send emails

cb27 21 Reputation points
2022-03-05T18:31:18.887+00:00

So I built my first on-premises Exchange server two years ago and it was relatively straight forward and worked great until Hafnium happened.

Because reasons, it was decided to rebuild the server instead of restoring from a backup.

No sweat. It's a small outfit with less than a dozen users, so I rebuilt the Domain Controller and Exchange server using the latest CU (11). Got replacement certificates issued and
I'm testing using webmail (OWA) remotely.

I compose an email and hit send. The email goes into Drafts and then doesn't go anywhere. If I click the message, it says

"Something went wrong and we haven't been able to send your message yet."

The Mailbox Connectivity Submission Log shows the public DNS server looking for the internal server name and obviously reporting it doesn't exist:

mailboxtransportsubmissioninternalproxy,>,Non-existent domain reported by 8.8.8.8. [Domain:Result] = mydomainname.local:InfoDomainNonexistent;

For the life of me, I can't figure out where to look to sort this.

I get the feeling it's something really trivial but where?

Exchange Server Management
Exchange Server Management
Exchange Server: A family of Microsoft client/server messaging and collaboration software.Management: The act or process of organizing, handling, directing or controlling something.
7,390 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. cb27 21 Reputation points
    2022-03-06T21:53:45.96+00:00

    Finally resolved this issue after a whole weekend (and the rest!) of headbanging!!!

    Turns out the HubTransport component was stuck in the draining state.

    Blockquote get-servercomponentstate -identity SERVERNAME

    Blockquote set-ServerComponentState -Identity SERVERNAME -requester maintenance -Component HubTransport -state active

    Restarted the Exchange Transport Service and bingo! emails started flowing. YAY!!!!

    Kudos to the guys on this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/exchangeserver/comments/4emwku/hubtransport_component_stuck_in_draining_state/

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Andy David - MVP 142.7K Reputation points MVP
    2022-03-05T21:37:34.997+00:00

    I would check the NIC on the Exchange Server and make sure you dont have an external DNS server listed there


  3. Kael Yao-MSFT 37,576 Reputation points Microsoft Vendor
    2022-03-07T07:00:37.51+00:00

    Hi @cb27

    Glad to hear the issue has been resolved and thanks for the sharing.
    While due to a recent update in forum policy, the question author now is not able to accept their own answers.
    167143-09.png

    I have written a brief summary of this issue.
    Please feel free to accept it as the answer to the question to help other community members.
    Thanks again for the sharing!

    Issue Symptom:
    Rebuilt Exchange server but cannot send emails.
    In OWA the error message is "Something went wrong and we haven't been able to send your message yet."
    In The Mailbox Connectivity Submission Log it shows "mailboxtransportsubmissioninternalproxy,>,Non-existent domain reported by 8.8.8.8. [Domain:Result] = mydomainname.local:InfoDomainNonexistent;"

    Solution:
    cause: The HubTransport component was stuck in the draining state.

    run the following cmdlets to set it to active:

    get-servercomponentstate -identity SERVERNAME  
    set-ServerComponentState -Identity SERVERNAME -requester maintenance -Component HubTransport -state active  
    
    0 comments No comments