Exchange Online migration - cannot connect to MRS

Chocolate Eater 116 Reputation points
2020-09-14T09:28:23.473+00:00

Hi.

I have been struggling for quite some time to migrate our on-premise Exchange 2013 mailboxes to Exchange Online. I have not seen any resolution to this problem after extensive searching on the web, so I'm posting here hoping to get some new input.

The domain has a fully functioning sync from on-premise AD to Azure AD. The hybrid configuration wizard runs OK, configuring a hybrid setup. When trying to migrate a mailbox, however, i get an error saying "Connection to the server mail.mydomain.com could not be completed".

I have tried pretty much everything, including checking security permissions on the admin accounts, changing certificates from wildcard to FQDN (although only wildcards seem to address all the different services that is required). The only seemingly abnormal thing is that Test-MigrationServerAvailability from the on-premise Exchange-server fails with "AutoDiscover failed with a configuration error: The migration service failed to detect the migration endpoint using the Autodiscover service".

Testing the service from https://testexchangeconnectivity.com reports no errors, although it might not be completely clear to me what the correct test is supposed to be. The "mail.mydomain.com" address is resolvable and accessible on port 443.

Would appreciate any suggestions on where to look further to resolve this.

Cheers,
Chocolate Eater

Microsoft Exchange Online Management
Microsoft Exchange Online Management
Microsoft Exchange Online: A Microsoft email and calendaring hosted service.Management: The act or process of organizing, handling, directing or controlling something.
2,882 questions
Microsoft Exchange Hybrid Management
Microsoft Exchange Hybrid Management
Microsoft Exchange: Microsoft messaging and collaboration software.Hybrid Management: Organizing, handling, directing or controlling hybrid deployments.
1,233 questions
No comments
{count} votes

Accepted answer
  1. Chocolate Eater 116 Reputation points
    2020-09-14T20:06:50.78+00:00

    At last, I figured this one out. It turns out that the login account settings for the MRS endpoint was set to the local administrator account, and the correct setting is for an account with full privileges on Exchange Online Organization Management (at least that is what I used). This account was actually specified in the HCW, but it was necessary to adjust this manually.


0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful