Unable to bulk add Users using provided template

Dave W. Johnson 6 Reputation points
2022-09-02T19:04:57.913+00:00

I am attempting to add bulk users using the csv template provided in Azure. Every time I proceed I get “Email Address domain contains extra or invalid characters”. I can manually add users fine but have over 100 to do.

Microsoft Entra
0 comments No comments
{count} vote

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. JimmySalian-2011 41,931 Reputation points
    2022-09-04T09:48:58.03+00:00

    Hi,

    Can you check if the data does not have any special characters or spaces? Usually it is down to that issue verify in a notepad or try with few users in the csv to narrow down the issue.

    Check the limitations and fix for these issue - username-contains-special-character

    ==
    Please "Accept the answer" if the information helped you. This will help us and others in the community as well.

    0 comments No comments

  2. Dave W. Johnson 6 Reputation points
    2022-09-06T10:38:47.413+00:00

    I have attempted to only import one line and will still end up with this error. No special characters are in the e-mail.

    0 comments No comments

  3. Thomas Moen 0 Reputation points Microsoft Employee
    2024-04-22T23:02:18.5233333+00:00

    Agree! I just tested this and I am seeing the same exact thing. Even using the supplied sample file! It is saying the email address domain contains extra or invalid characters BUT it is pointing to the Display Name not the email nor the domain. If you modify the first column, with the email in the domain/tenant, the UPN in the O365 tenant, you will be fine. The sample file has chrisgreen@contoso.com if you modify that to chrisgreen@yourdomain.com, you will be fine. Sorry the dialog/error is so poorly written.

    0 comments No comments

  4. Thomas Moen 0 Reputation points Microsoft Employee
    2024-04-22T23:56:22.6166667+00:00

    Agree with all those who reported issues here. I tested this and saw the same issue. The error and dialog stated email address domain contains extra or invalid characters BUT displays the Display Name as the offending error, not the email/UPN. If you modify the first column, with the email of YOUR domain/tenant, modify the email in the sheet with the UPN from your O365 tenant, you will be fine. The sample file has chrisgreen@contoso.com if you modify that to chrisgreen@yourdomain.com you will be successful. Sorry the dialog/error is not accurate.

    0 comments No comments