Change the SKU for an existing Azure Active Directory Domain Services managed domain
In Azure Active Directory Domain Services (Azure AD DS), the available performance and features are based on the SKU type. These feature differences include the backup frequency or maximum number of one-way outbound forest trusts.
You select a SKU when you create the managed domain, and you can switch SKUs up or down as your business needs change after the managed domain has been deployed. Changes in business requirements could include the need for more frequent backups or to create additional forest trusts. For more information on the limits and pricing of the different SKUs, see Azure AD DS SKU concepts and Azure AD DS pricing pages.
This article shows you how to change the SKU for an existing Azure AD DS managed domain using the Azure portal.
Before you begin
To complete this article, you need the following resources and privileges:
- An active Azure subscription.
- If you don't have an Azure subscription, create an account.
- An Azure Active Directory tenant associated with your subscription, either synchronized with an on-premises directory or a cloud-only directory.
- An Azure Active Directory Domain Services managed domain enabled and configured in your Azure AD tenant.
- If needed, complete the tutorial to create and configure a managed domain.
SKU change limitations
You can change SKUs up or down after the managed domain has been deployed. However, if you use a resource forest and have created one-way outbound forest trusts from Azure AD DS to an on-premises AD DS environment, there are some limitations for the SKU change operation. The Premium and Enterprise SKUs define a limit on the number of trusts you can create. You can't change to a SKU with a lower maximum limit than you currently have configured.
- You can't change down to the Standard SKU. Azure AD DS resource forest doesn't support the Standard SKU.
- Or, if you have created seven trusts on the Premium SKU, you can't change down to the Enterprise SKU. The Enterprise SKU supports a maximum of five trusts.
For more information on these limits, see Azure AD DS SKU features and limits.
Select a new SKU
To change the SKU for a managed domain using the Azure portal, complete the following steps:
At the top of the Azure portal, search for and select Azure AD Domain Services. Choose your managed domain from the list, such as aaddscontoso.com.
In the menu on the left-hand side of the Azure AD DS page, select Settings > SKU.
From the drop-down menu, select the SKU you wish for your managed domain. If you have a resource forest, you can't select Standard SKU as forest trusts are only available on the Enterprise SKU or higher.
Choose the SKU you want from the drop-down menu, then select Save.
It can take a minute or two to change the SKU type.
If you have a resource forest and want to create additional trusts after the SKU change, see Create an outbound forest trust to an on-premises domain in Azure AD DS.