Configure real-time application access monitoring with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps and Microsoft Entra ID
Configure an on-premises application in Microsoft Entra ID to use Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps for real-time monitoring. Defender for Cloud Apps uses Conditional Access App Control to monitor and control sessions in real-time based on Conditional Access policies. You can apply these policies to on-premises applications that use Application Proxy in Microsoft Entra ID.
Here are some examples of the types of policies you can create with Defender for Cloud Apps:
- Block or protect the download of sensitive documents on unmanaged devices.
- Monitor when high-risk users sign on to applications, and then log their actions from within the session. With this information, you can analyze user behavior to determine how to apply session policies.
- Use client certificates or device compliance to block access to specific applications from unmanaged devices.
- Restrict user sessions from non-corporate networks. You can give restricted access to users accessing an application from outside your corporate network. For example, this restricted access can block the user from downloading sensitive documents.
For more information, see Protect apps with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps Conditional Access App Control.
- EMS E5 license, or
- Microsoft Entra ID P1 and Defender for Cloud Apps Standalone.
- The on-premises application must use Kerberos Constrained Delegation (KCD)
Configure Application Proxy:
- Configure Microsoft Entra ID to use Application Proxy, including preparing your environment and installing the Application Proxy connector. For a tutorial, see Add an on-premises applications for remote access through Application Proxy in Microsoft Entra ID.
Add on-premises application to Microsoft Entra ID
Add an on-premises application to Microsoft Entra ID. For a quickstart, see Add an on-premises app to Microsoft Entra ID. When adding the application, be sure to set the following two settings in the Add your on-premises application blade:
- Pre Authentication: Enter Microsoft Entra ID.
- Translate URLs in Application Body: Choose Yes.
Those two settings are required for the application to work with Defender for Cloud Apps.
Test the on-premises application
After adding your application to Microsoft Entra ID, use the steps in Test the application to add a user for testing, and test the sign-on.
Deploy Conditional Access App Control
To configure your application with the Conditional Access Application Control, follow the instructions in Deploy Conditional Access Application Control for Microsoft Entra apps.
Test Conditional Access App Control
To test the deployment of Microsoft Entra applications with Conditional Access Application Control, follow the instructions in Test the deployment for Microsoft Entra apps.