Tutorial: Azure AD SSO integration with Birst Agile Business Analytics
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Birst Agile Business Analytics with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Birst Agile Business Analytics with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Birst Agile Business Analytics.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Birst Agile Business Analytics with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Birst Agile Business Analytics single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
- Along with Cloud Application Administrator, Application Administrator can also add or manage applications in Azure AD. For more information, see Azure built-in roles.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD single sign-on in a test environment.
- Birst Agile Business Analytics supports SP initiated SSO.
Identifier of this application is a fixed string value so only one instance can be configured in one tenant.
Add Birst Agile Business Analytics from the gallery
To configure the integration of Birst Agile Business Analytics into Azure AD, you need to add Birst Agile Business Analytics from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Birst Agile Business Analytics in the search box.
- Select Birst Agile Business Analytics from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Birst Agile Business Analytics
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Birst Agile Business Analytics using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Birst Agile Business Analytics.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Birst Agile Business Analytics, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Birst Agile Business Analytics SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Birst Agile Business Analytics test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Birst Agile Business Analytics that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Birst Agile Business Analytics application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the pencil icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, perform the following steps:
In the Sign-on URL textbox, type a URL using the following pattern:
The URL depends on the datacenter that your Birst account is located:
For US datacenter use following the pattern:
For Europe datacenter use the following pattern:
This value is not real. Update the value with the actual Sign-On URL. Contact Birst Agile Business Analytics Client support team to get the value.
On the Set up Single Sign-On with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, click Download to download the Certificate (Base64) from the given options as per your requirement and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Birst Agile Business Analytics section, copy the appropriate URL(s) as per your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Birst Agile Business Analytics.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Birst Agile Business Analytics.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Birst Agile Business Analytics SSO
To configure single sign-on on Birst Agile Business Analytics side, you need to send the downloaded Certificate (Base64) and appropriate copied URLs from Azure portal to Birst Agile Business Analytics support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Mention to Birst team that this integration needs SHA256 Algorithm (SHA1 will not be supported) so that they can set the SSO on the appropriate server like app2101 etc.
Create Birst Agile Business Analytics test user
In this section, you create a user called Britta Simon in Birst Agile Business Analytics. Work with Birst Agile Business Analytics support team to add the users in the Birst Agile Business Analytics platform. Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration with following options.
Click on Test this application in Azure portal. This will redirect to Birst Agile Business Analytics Sign-on URL where you can initiate the login flow.
Go to Birst Agile Business Analytics Sign-on URL directly and initiate the login flow from there.
You can use Microsoft My Apps. When you click the Birst Agile Business Analytics tile in the My Apps, this will redirect to Birst Agile Business Analytics Sign-on URL. For more information about the My Apps, see Introduction to the My Apps.
Once you configure Birst Agile Business Analytics you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Cloud App Security.
Submit and view feedback for