Tutorial: Azure AD SSO integration with Cimpl
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Cimpl with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Cimpl with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Cimpl.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Cimpl with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Cimpl single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD single sign-on in a test environment.
- Cimpl supports SP initiated SSO.
Add Cimpl from the gallery
To configure the integration of Cimpl into Azure AD, you need to add Cimpl from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Cimpl in the search box.
- Select Cimpl from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Cimpl
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Cimpl using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Cimpl.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Cimpl, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Create an Azure AD test user - to test Azure AD single sign-on with B.Simon.
- Assign the Azure AD test user - to enable B.Simon to use Azure AD single sign-on.
- Configure Cimpl SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Cimpl test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Cimpl that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Cimpl application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the pencil icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, perform the following steps:
a. In the Identifier (Entity ID) text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Sign on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
These values are not real. Update these values with the actual Identifier and Sign on URL. Contact Cimpl team at +1 866-982-8250 to get these values.
On the Set up Single Sign-On with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, click Download to download the Certificate (Base64) from the given options as per your requirement and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Cimpl section, copy the appropriate URL(s) as per your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Cimpl.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Cimpl.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are expecting a role to be assigned to the users, you can select it from the Select a role dropdown. If no role has been set up for this app, you see "Default Access" role selected.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Cimpl SSO
To configure single sign-on on Cimpl side, you need to send the downloaded Certificate (Base64) and appropriate copied URLs from Azure portal to Cimpl support at +1 866-982-8250. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Cimpl test user
The objective of this section is to create a user called Britta Simon in Cimpl. Work with Cimpl support at +1 866-982-8250 to add the users in the Cimpl account.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration with following options.
Click on Test this application in Azure portal. This will redirect to Cimpl Sign-on URL where you can initiate the login flow.
Go to Cimpl Sign-on URL directly and initiate the login flow from there.
You can use Microsoft My Apps. When you click the Cimpl tile in the My Apps, this will redirect to Cimpl Sign-on URL. For more information about the My Apps, see Introduction to the My Apps.
Once you configure Cimpl you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.
Submit and view feedback for