Tutorial: Azure Active Directory single sign-on (SSO) integration with Retail Zipline
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Retail Zipline with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Retail Zipline with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Retail Zipline.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Retail Zipline with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Retail Zipline single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
- Retail Zipline supports SP and IDP initiated SSO
- Retail Zipline supports Just In Time user provisioning
Adding Retail Zipline from the gallery
To configure the integration of Retail Zipline into Azure AD, you need to add Retail Zipline from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Retail Zipline in the search box.
- Select Retail Zipline from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Retail Zipline
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Retail Zipline using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Retail Zipline.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Retail Zipline, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Retail Zipline SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Retail Zipline test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Retail Zipline that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Retail Zipline application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, if you wish to configure the application in IDP initiated mode, enter the values for the following fields:
a. In the Identifier text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Reply URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
Click Set additional URLs and perform the following step if you wish to configure the application in SP initiated mode:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
These values are not real. Update these values with the actual Identifier, Reply URL and Sign-on URL. Contact Retail Zipline Client support team to get these values. You can also refer to the patterns shown in the Basic SAML Configuration section in the Azure portal.
Retail Zipline application expects the SAML assertions in a specific format, which requires you to add custom attribute mappings to your SAML token attributes configuration. The following screenshot shows the list of default attributes.
In addition to above, Retail Zipline application expects few more attributes to be passed back in SAML response, which are shown below. These attributes are also pre populated but you can review them as per your requirements.
Name Source Attribute employee_number user.employeeid user.mail family_name user.surname given_name user.givenname title user.jobtitle cost_center user.department locale user.preferredlanguage
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, In the SAML Signing Certificate section, click copy button to copy App Federation Metadata Url and save it on your computer.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Retail Zipline.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Retail Zipline.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are expecting a role to be assigned to the users, you can select it from the Select a role dropdown. If no role has been set up for this app, you see "Default Access" role selected.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Retail Zipline SSO
To configure single sign-on on Retail Zipline side, you need to send the App Federation Metadata Url to Retail Zipline support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Retail Zipline test user
In this section, a user called Britta Simon is created in Retail Zipline. Retail Zipline supports just-in-time user provisioning, which is enabled by default. There is no action item for you in this section. If a user doesn't already exist in Retail Zipline, a new one is created after authentication.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration with following options.
Click on Test this application in Azure portal. This will redirect to Retail Zipline Sign on URL where you can initiate the login flow.
Go to Retail Zipline Sign-on URL directly and initiate the login flow from there.
- Click on Test this application in Azure portal and you should be automatically signed in to the Retail Zipline for which you set up the SSO
You can also use Microsoft Access Panel to test the application in any mode. When you click the Retail Zipline tile in the Access Panel, if configured in SP mode you would be redirected to the application sign-on page for initiating the login flow and if configured in IDP mode, you should be automatically signed in to the Retail Zipline for which you set up the SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.
Once you configure Retail Zipline you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.