What's new in Language Understanding
LUIS will be retired on October 1st 2025 and starting April 1st 2023 you will not be able to create new LUIS resources. We recommend migrating your LUIS applications to conversational language understanding to benefit from continued product support and multilingual capabilities.
Learn what's new in the service. These items include release notes, videos, blog posts, and other types of information. Bookmark this page to keep up to date with the service.
- LUIS containers can be used in disconnected environments.
- Updated text recognizer to v1.8.2
- Added English (UK) to supported languages.
- Updated text recognizer to v1.8.1
- Jio India west publishing region
- Norway East publishing region.
- West US 3 publishing region.
- Switzerland North authoring region.
- The V3 prediction API now supports the Bing Spellcheck API.
- The regional portals (au.luis.ai and eu.luis.ai) have been consolidated into a single portal and URL. If you were using one of these portals, you will be automatically re-directed to luis.ai.
- All LUIS users are required to migrate to a LUIS authoring resource
- New evaluation endpoints that allow you to submit batch tests using the REST API, and get accuracy results for your intents and entities. Available starting with the v3.0-preview LUIS Endpoint.
- Preview 3.0 Authoring SDK -
- Version 3.2.0-preview.3 - .NET - NuGet
- Version 4.0.0-preview.3 - JS - NPM
- Applying DevOps practices with LUIS
May 2020 - //Build
- Released as generally available (GA):
- Language Understanding container
- Preview portal promoted to current portal, previous portal still available
- New machine-learning entity creation and labeling experience
- Upgrade process from composite and simple entities to machine-learning entities
- Setting support for normalizing word variants
- Preview Authoring API changes
- App schema 7.x for nested machine-learning entities
- Migration to required feature
- New resources for developers
- Continuous integration tools
- Workshop - learn best practices for Natural Language Understanding (NLU) using LUIS
- Customer managed keys - encrypt all the data you use in LUIS by using your own key
- AI show (video) - see the new features in LUIS
- TLS 1.2 is now enforced for all HTTP requests to this service. For more information, see Azure Cognitive Services security.
November 4, 2019 - Ignite
Video - Advanced Natural Language Understanding (NLU) models using LUIS and Azure Cognitive Services | BRK2188
Improved developer productivity
- General availability of our prediction endpoint V3.
- Ability to import and export apps with
.lu(LUDown) format. This paves the way for an effective CI/CD process.
- Arabic and Hindi in public preview.
- Prebuilt domains is now generally available (GA)
- Japanese prebuilt entities - age, currency, number, and percentage are not supported in V3.
- Italian prebuilt entities - age, currency, dimension, number, and percentage resolution changed from V2.
Enhanced user experience in preview.luis.ai portal - revamped labeling experience to enable building and debugging complex models. Try the preview portal tutorials:
Advance language understanding capabilities - building sophisticated language models with less effort.
Define machine learning features at the model level and enable models to be used as signals to other models, for example using entities as features to intents and to other entities.
New, expanded limits - higher maximum for phrase lists and total phrases, new model as a feature limits
Extract information from text in the format of deep hierarchy structure, making conversation applications more powerful.
September 3, 2019
- Azure authoring resource - migrate now.
- 500 apps per Azure resource
- 100 versions per app
- Turkish support for prebuilt entities
- Italian support for datetimeV2
July 23, 2019
- Update the Recognizers-Text to 1.2.3
- Age, Temperature, Dimension, and Currency recognizers in Italian.
- Improvement in Holiday recognition in English to correctly calculate Thanksgiving-based dates.
- Improvements in French DateTime to reduce false positives of non-Date and non-Time entities.
- Support for calendar/school/fiscal year and acronyms in English DateRange.
- Improved PhoneNumber recognition in Chinese and Japanese.
- Improved support for NumberRange in English.
- Performance improvements.
June 24, 2019
- OrdinalV2 prebuilt entity to support ordering such as next, previous, and last. English culture only.
May 6, 2019 - //Build Conference
The following features were released at the Build 2019 Conference:
- Preview of V3 API migration guide
- Improved analytics dashboard
- Improved prebuilt domains
- Dynamic list entities
- External entities
2019 Ignite videos
Advanced Natural Language Understanding (NLU) models using LUIS and Azure Cognitive Services | BRK2188
2019 Build videos
How to use Azure Conversational AI to scale your business for the next generation
Submit and view feedback for