Set up user roles for Azure Communications Gateway
This article will guide you through how to configure the permissions required for staff in your organization to:
- Deploy Azure Communications Gateway through the portal
- Raise customer support requests (support tickets)
- Monitor Azure Communications Gateway
- Use the Number Management Portal for provisioning
Familiarize yourself with the Azure user roles relevant to Azure Communications Gateway by reading Azure roles, Microsoft Entra roles, and classic subscription administrator roles.
A list of all available defined Azure roles is available in Azure built-in roles.
Understand the user roles required for Azure Communications Gateway
Your staff might need different user roles, depending on the tasks they need to carry out.
|Task||Required user roles or access|
|Deploying Azure Communications Gateway||Contributor access to your subscription|
|Raising support requests||Owner, Contributor or Support Request Contributor access to your subscription or a custom role with
|Monitoring logs and metrics||Reader access to your subscription|
|Using the Number Management Portal||NumberManagement.Read, NumberManagement.Write, PartnerSettings.Read, and PartnerSettings.Write roles for the Project Synergy enterprise application and Reader access to your subscription|
Configure user roles
You need to use the Azure portal to configure user roles.
Prepare to assign a user role
- Read through Steps to assign an Azure role and ensure that you:
- Know who needs access.
- Know the appropriate user role or roles to assign them.
- Are signed in with a user account with a role that can change role assignments for the subscription, such as Owner or User Access Administrator.
- If you're managing access to the Number Management Portal, ensure that you're signed in with a user account that can change roles for enterprise applications. For example, you could be a Global Administrator, Cloud Application Administrator or Application Administrator. For more information, see Assign users and groups to an application.
Assign a user role
- Follow the steps in Assign a user role using the Azure portal to assign the permissions you determined in Understand the user roles required for Azure Communications Gateway.
- If you're managing access to the Number Management Portal, follow Assign users and groups to an application to assign NumberManagement.Read, NumberManagement.Write, PartnerSettings.Read, and PartnerSettings.Write roles for each user in the Project Synergy application.
- Learn how to remove access to the Azure Communications Gateway subscription by removing Azure role assignments.