Automatically renew your Azure savings plan
You can automatically purchase a replacement savings plan when an existing savings plan expires. Automatic renewal provides an effortless way to continue getting savings plan discounts without having to closely monitor a savings plan's expiration. The renewal setting is turned off by default. Enable or disable the renewal setting anytime, up to the expiration of the existing savings plan.
Renewing a savings plan creates a new savings plan when the existing one expires. It doesn't extend the term of the existing savings plan.
You can opt in to automatically renew at any time.
There's no obligation to renew and you can opt out of the renewal at any time before the existing savings plan expires.
Required renewal permissions
The following conditions are required to renew a savings plan:
For Enterprise Agreements (EA) and Microsoft Customer Agreements (MCA):
- MCA - You must be a billing profile contributor
- EA - You must be an EA admin with write access
For Microsoft Partner Agreements (MPA):
- You must be an owner of the existing savings plan.
- You must be an owner of the subscription if the savings plan is scoped to a single subscription or resource group.
- You must be an owner of the subscription if it has a shared scope or management group scope.
Set up renewal
In the Azure portal, search for Savings plan and select it.
- Select the savings plan.
- Select Renewal.
- Select Automatically renew this savings plan.
If you don't automatically renew
Your services continue to run normally. You're charged pay-as-you-go rates for your usage after the savings plan expires. If the savings plan wasn't set for automatic renewal before expiration, you can't renew an expired savings plan. To continue to receive savings, you can buy a new savings plan.
Default renewal settings
By default, the renewal inherits all properties except automatic renewal setting from the expiring savings plan. A savings plan renewal purchase has the same billing subscription, term, billing frequency, and savings plan commitment.
However, you can update the renewal commitment, billing frequency, and commitment term to optimize your savings.
When the new savings plan is purchased
A new savings plan is purchased when the existing savings plan expires. We try to prevent any delay between the two savings plan. Continuity ensures that your costs are predictable, and you continue to get discounts.
Change parent savings plan after setting renewal
If you make any of the following changes to the expiring savings plan, the savings plan renewal is canceled:
- Transferring the savings plan from one account to another
- Renew the enrollment
The new savings plan inherits the scope setting from the expiring savings plan during renewal.
New savings plan permissions
Azure copies the permissions from the expiring savings plan to the new savings plan. Additionally, the subscription account administrator of the savings plan purchase has access to the new savings plan.
Potential renewal problems
Azure may not process the renewal if:
- Payment can't be collected
- A system error occurs during renewal
- The EA agreement is renewed into a different EA
You'll receive an email notification if any of the preceding conditions occur, and the renewal is deactivated.
Renewal notification emails are sent 30 days before expiration and again on the expiration date. The sending email address is
email@example.com. You might want to add the email address to your safe senders or allowlist.
Emails are sent to different people depending on your purchase method:
- EA customers - Emails are sent to the notification contacts set in the Azure portal or Enterprise Administrators who are automatically enrolled to receive usage notifications.
- MPA - No email notifications are currently sent for Microsoft Partner Agreement subscriptions.
Need help? Contact us.
If you have Azure savings plan for compute questions, contact your account team, or create a support request. Temporarily, Microsoft will only provide Azure savings plan for compute expert support requests in English.
- To learn more about Azure savings plans, see What are Azure Savings Plan?