You can manage notebooks using the UI, the CLI, and by invoking the Workspace API. This article focuses on performing notebook tasks using the UI. For the other methods, see Databricks CLI and Workspace API 2.0.
Use the Create button
The easiest way to create a new notebook in your default folder is to use the Create button:
- Click New in the sidebar and select Notebook from the menu. The Create Notebook dialog appears.
- Enter a name and select the notebook’s default language.
- If there are running clusters, the Cluster drop-down displays. Select the cluster you want to attach the notebook to.
- Click Create.
Create a notebook in any folder
You can create a new notebook in any folder (for example, in the Shared folder) following these steps:
- In the sidebar, click Workspace. Do one of the following:
Next to any folder, click the on the right side of the text and select Create > Notebook.
In the workspace or a user folder, click and select Create > Notebook.
- Follow steps 2 through 4 in Use the Create button.
Open a notebook
In your workspace, click a . The notebook path displays when you hover over the notebook title.
Delete a notebook
Copy notebook path
To copy a notebook file path without opening the notebook, right-click the notebook name or click the to the right of the notebook name and select Copy File Path.
Rename a notebook
To change the title of an open notebook, click the title and edit inline or click File > Rename.
Control access to a notebook
Configure notebook settings
To configure notebook settings:
- Click your username at the top right of the workspace and select User Settings from the drop down.
- Click the Notebook Settings tab.
View all notebooks attached to a cluster
The Notebooks tab on the cluster details page displays all of the notebooks that are attached to a cluster. The tab also displays the status of each attached notebook, along with the last time a command was run from the notebook.
Submit and view feedback for