Overview of Microsoft Defender for DNS
Microsoft Defender for DNS provides an additional layer of protection for resources that use Azure DNS's Azure-provided name resolution capability.
From within Azure DNS, Defender for DNS monitors the queries from these resources and detects suspicious activities without the need for any additional agents on your resources.
|Release state:||General availability (GA)|
|Pricing:||Microsoft Defender for DNS is billed as shown on the pricing page|
Azure China 21Vianet
What are the benefits of Microsoft Defender for DNS?
Microsoft Defender for DNS detects suspicious and anomalous activities such as:
- Data exfiltration from your Azure resources using DNS tunneling
- Malware communicating with command and control servers
- DNS attacks - communication with malicious DNS resolvers
- Communication with domains used for malicious activities such as phishing and crypto mining
A full list of the alerts provided by Microsoft Defender for DNS is on the alerts reference page.
Microsoft Defender for DNS doesn't use any agents.
To protect your DNS layer, enable Microsoft Defender for DNS for each of your subscriptions as described in Enable enhanced protections.
In this article, you learned about Microsoft Defender for DNS.
For related material, see the following article:
- Security alerts might be generated by Defender for Cloud or received from other security products. To export all of these alerts to Microsoft Sentinel, any third-party SIEM, or any other external tool, follow the instructions in Exporting alerts to a SIEM.
Submit and view feedback for