CSV parser ingestion concepts
A CSV (comma-separated values) file is a comma delimited text file that is used to save data in a table structured format.
A CSV Parser DAG allows a customer to load data into Microsoft Azure Data Manager for Energy instance based on a custom schema that is, a schema that doesn't match the OSDU™ Well Known Schema (WKS). Customers must create and register the custom schema using the Schema service before loading the data.
A CSV Parser DAG implements an ELT (Extract Load and Transform) approach to data loading, that is, data is first extracted from the source system in a CSV format, and it's loaded into the Azure Data Manager for Energy instance. It could then be transformed to the OSDU™ Well Known Schema using a mapping service.
What does CSV ingestion do?
A CSV Parser DAG allows the customers to load the CSV data into the Microsoft Azure Data Manager for Energy instance. It parses each row of a CSV file and creates a storage metadata record. It performs
schema validation to ensure that the CSV data conforms to the registered custom schema. It automatically performs
type coercion on the columns based on the schema data type definition. It generates
unique id for each row of the CSV record by combining source, entity type and a Base64 encoded string formed by concatenating natural key(s) in the data. It performs
unit conversion by converting declared frame of reference information into appropriate persistable reference using the Unit service. It performs
CRS conversion for spatially aware columns based on the Frame of Reference (FoR) information present in the schema. It creates
relationships metadata as declared in the source schema. Finally, it
persists the metadata record using the Storage service.
CSV parser ingestion components
The CSV Parser DAG workflow is made up of the following services:
- File service facilitates the management of files in the Azure Data Manager for Energy instance. It allows the user to securely upload, discovery and download files from the data platform.
- Schema service facilitates the management of schemas in the Azure Data Manager for Energy instance. It allows the user to create, fetch and search for schemas in the data platform.
- Storage Service facilitates the storage of metadata information for domain entities ingested into the data platform. It also raises storage record change events that allow downstream services to perform operations on ingested metadata records.
- Unit Service facilitates the management and conversion of units
- Workflow service facilitates the management of workflows in the Azure Data Manager for Energy instance. It's a wrapper service on top of the Airflow orchestration engine.
CSV ingestion components diagram
CSV parser ingestion workflow
To execute the CSV Parser DAG workflow, the user must have a valid authorization token and appropriate access to the following services: Search, Storage, Schema, File Service, Entitlement, Legal, and Workflow.
To execute the CSV Parser DAG workflow, the user must first create and register the schema using the workflow service. Once the schema is created, the user then uses the File service to upload the CSV file to the Microsoft Azure Data Manager for Energy instances, and also creates the storage record of file generic kind. The file service then provides a file ID to the user, which is used while triggering the CSV Parser workflow using the Workflow service. The Workflow service provides a run ID, which the user could use to track the status of the CSV Parser workflow run.
OSDU™ is a trademark of The Open Group.
Advance to the CSV parser tutorial and learn how to perform a CSV parser ingestion