How to set up a machine configuration authoring environment
Azure Policy Guest Configuration is now called Azure Automanage Machine Configuration. Learn more about the recent renaming of Microsoft configuration management services.
The PowerShell module
GuestConfiguration automates the process of creating
custom content including:
- Creating a machine configuration content artifact (.zip)
- Validating the package meets requirements
- Installing the machine configuration agent locally for testing
- Validating the package can be used to audit settings in a machine
- Validating the package can be used to configure settings in a machine
- Publishing the package to Azure storage
- Creating a policy definition
- Publishing the policy
Support for applying configurations through machine configuration
is introduced in version
Custom packages that audit the state of an environment are Generally Available, but packages that apply configurations are in preview. The following limitations apply:
To test creating and applying configurations on Linux, the
GuestConfiguration module is only available on Ubuntu 18 but the package
and policy definitions produced by the module can be used on any Linux distro/version
supported in Azure or Arc.
Testing packages on MacOS isn't available.
Operating Systems where the module can be installed:
- Ubuntu 18
The module can be installed on a machine running PowerShell 7. Install the versions of PowerShell listed below.
|Ubuntu 18||PowerShell 7.2.4|
GuestConfiguration module requires the following software:
- Azure PowerShell 5.9.0 or higher. The required Az modules are installed
automatically with the
GuestConfigurationmodule, or you can follow these instructions.
Install the module from the PowerShell Gallery
To install the
GuestConfiguration module on either Windows or Linux, run the
following command in PowerShell 7.
# Install the machine configuration DSC resource module from PowerShell Gallery Install-Module -Name GuestConfiguration
Validate that the module has been imported:
# Get a list of commands for the imported GuestConfiguration module Get-Command -Module 'GuestConfiguration'
Submit and view feedback for