How-to guides for common scenarios that use Azure Information Protection
Are you looking for Microsoft Purview Information Protection, formerly Microsoft Information Protection (MIP)?
The Azure Information Protection add-in for Office is now in maintenance mode and will be retired April 2024. Instead, we recommend you use labels that are built in to your Office 365 apps and services. Learn more about the support status of other Azure Information Protection components.
There are many ways in which you can use Azure Information Protection to classify and optionally, protect your organization's documents and emails.
The most successful deployments are those that identify specific use cases that provide the most business benefit to the organization. Use the following list of common scenarios and instructions to get your deployment off the ground.
- Discover your sensitive content with the Azure Information Protection (AIP) scanner
- Automatically protect users' emails that are sent outside the organization
- Use my own key to protect my organization's data
For more information, see also Create and publish sensitivity labels in the Microsoft 365 Compliance documentation.
Additional deployment instructions
Our Azure Information Protection technical blog includes additional guidance from the trenches.
For example, for a methodology with best practices for business decision makers and IT implementers, see Azure Information Protection Deployment Acceleration Guide
For more information and step-by-step instructions, see:
- How to Build a Custom AIP Tracking Portal
- Create richer reports with Microsoft Purview Information Protection and Azure AD login data
- Leverage Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps to apply Azure Information Protection labels in the cloud
- How to prepare an Azure Information Protection “Cloud Exit” plan
- Cross-Tenant Label Visualization
- Using Azure Information Protection to protect PDF’s and Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them
- Cataloging your Sensitive Data with AIP, Even Before Configuring Labels!
- Azure Information Protection Scanner Express Installation
- Discovery of Sensitive Data Using the AIP Scanner (AIP Premium P1)
Don't see your scenario listed? Check the Deployment roadmaps for a full list of planning and deployment steps.
Submit and view feedback for