Proofpoint On Demand Email Security (using Azure Function) connector for Microsoft Sentinel
Proofpoint On Demand Email Security data connector provides the capability to get Proofpoint on Demand Email Protection data, allows users to check message traceability, monitoring into email activity, threats,and data exfiltration by attackers and malicious insiders. The connector provides ability to review events in your org on an accelerated basis, get event log files in hourly increments for recent activity.
|Azure function app code||https://aka.ms/sentinel-proofpointpod-functionapp|
|Kusto function alias||ProofpointPOD|
|Kusto function url||https://aka.ms/sentinel-proofpointpod-parser|
|Log Analytics table(s)||ProofpointPOD_message_CL
|Data collection rules support||Not currently supported|
|Supported by||Microsoft Corporation|
Last ProofpointPOD message Events
ProofpointPOD | where EventType == 'message' | sort by TimeGenerated desc
Last ProofpointPOD maillog Events
ProofpointPOD | where EventType == 'maillog' | sort by TimeGenerated desc
To integrate with Proofpoint On Demand Email Security (using Azure Function) make sure you have:
- Microsoft.Web/sites permissions: Read and write permissions to Azure Functions to create a Function App is required. See the documentation to learn more about Azure Functions.
- Websocket API Credentials/permissions: ProofpointClusterID, ProofpointToken is required. See the documentation to learn more about API.
Vendor installation instructions
This connector uses Azure Functions to connect to the Proofpoint Websocket API to pull its logs into Microsoft Sentinel. This might result in additional data ingestion costs. Check the Azure Functions pricing page for details.
(Optional Step) Securely store workspace and API authorization key(s) or token(s) in Azure Key Vault. Azure Key Vault provides a secure mechanism to store and retrieve key values. Follow these instructions to use Azure Key Vault with an Azure Function App.
This data connector depends on a parser based on a Kusto Function to work as expected. Follow these steps to create the Kusto functions alias, ProofpointPOD
STEP 1 - Configuration steps for the Proofpoint Websocket API
- Proofpoint Websocket API service requires Remote Syslog Forwarding license. Please refer the documentation on how to enable and check PoD Log API.
- You must provide your cluster id and security token.
STEP 2 - Choose ONE from the following two deployment options to deploy the connector and the associated Azure Function
IMPORTANT: Before deploying the Proofpoint On Demand Email Security data connector, have the Workspace ID and Workspace Primary Key (can be copied from the following), as well as the Proofpoint POD Log API credentials, readily available.
Option 1 - Azure Resource Manager (ARM) Template
Use this method for automated deployment of the Proofpoint On Demand Email Security data connector using an ARM Tempate.
Click the Deploy to Azure button below.
Select the preferred Subscription, Resource Group and Location.
Enter the Workspace ID, Workspace Key, ProofpointClusterID, ProofpointToken and deploy.
Mark the checkbox labeled I agree to the terms and conditions stated above.
Click Purchase to deploy.
Option 2 - Manual Deployment of Azure Functions
Use the following step-by-step instructions to deploy the Proofpoint On Demand Email Security data connector manually with Azure Functions (Deployment via Visual Studio Code).
1. Deploy a Function App
NOTE:You will need to prepare VS code for Azure function development.
Download the Azure Function App file. Extract archive to your local development computer.
Start VS Code. Choose File in the main menu and select Open Folder.
Select the top level folder from extracted files.
Choose the Azure icon in the Activity bar, then in the Azure: Functions area, choose the Deploy to function app button. If you aren't already signed in, choose the Azure icon in the Activity bar, then in the Azure: Functions area, choose Sign in to Azure If you're already signed in, go to the next step.
Provide the following information at the prompts:
a. Select folder: Choose a folder from your workspace or browse to one that contains your function app.
b. Select Subscription: Choose the subscription to use.
c. Select Create new Function App in Azure (Don't choose the Advanced option)
d. Enter a globally unique name for the function app: Type a name that is valid in a URL path. The name you type is validated to make sure that it's unique in Azure Functions. (e.g. ProofpointXXXXX).
e. Select a runtime: Choose Python 3.8.
f. Select a location for new resources. For better performance and lower costs choose the same region where Microsoft Sentinel is located.
Deployment will begin. A notification is displayed after your function app is created and the deployment package is applied.
Go to Azure Portal for the Function App configuration.
2. Configure the Function App
- In the Function App, select the Function App Name and select Configuration.
- In the Application settings tab, select + New application setting.
- Add each of the following application settings individually, with their respective string values (case-sensitive): ProofpointClusterID ProofpointToken WorkspaceID WorkspaceKey logAnalyticsUri (optional)
- Use logAnalyticsUri to override the log analytics API endpoint for dedicated cloud. For example, for public cloud, leave the value empty; for Azure GovUS cloud environment, specify the value in the following format:
- Once all application settings have been entered, click Save.
For more information, go to the related solution in the Azure Marketplace.
Submit and view feedback for