U.S. Section 508
About U.S. Section 508
The United States Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act in 1998 and 2000 to require federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology (EIT) products, such as software, hardware, electronic content, and support documentation, accessible to people with disabilities. Section 508 of the United States Workforce Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 US Code §794d), as amended, mandates that federal agencies procure, maintain, and use EIT in a manner that ensures federal employees with disabilities have comparable access to, and use of, data and EIT relative to other federal employees.
Microsoft is a major software and cloud-services provider to U.S. federal and state governments. To assist government customers in making procurement decisions, Microsoft publishes Accessibility Conformance Reports describing the extent to which our products and services support the criteria of Section 508. This information can help Microsoft customers determine whether a particular product or service will meet their specific needs.
Microsoft and U.S. Section 508
Microsoft's consideration of U.S. Section 508 in the development of products and services points to its commitment to making technology and data accessible for all customers.
Microsoft in-scope cloud platforms & services
- Azure and Azure Government
- Azure DevOps Services
- Dynamics 365 and Dynamics 365 U.S. Government
- Office 365, Office 365 U.S. Government, Office 365 U.S. Government Defense
- Windows Server 2016
Office 365 and U.S. Section 508
Office 365 environments
Microsoft Office 365 is a multi-tenant hyperscale cloud platform and an integrated experience of apps and services available to customers in several regions worldwide. Most Office 365 services enable customers to specify the region where their customer data is located. Microsoft may replicate customer data to other regions within the same geographic area (for example, the United States) for data resiliency, but Microsoft will not replicate customer data outside the chosen geographic area.
This section covers the following Office 365 environments:
- Client software (Client): commercial client software running on customer devices.
- Office 365 (Commercial): the commercial public Office 365 cloud service available globally.
- Office 365 Government Community Cloud (GCC): the Office 365 GCC cloud service is available for United States Federal, State, Local, and Tribal governments, and contractors holding or processing data on behalf of the US Government.
- Office 365 Government Community Cloud - High (GCC High): the Office 365 GCC High cloud service is designed according to Department of Defense (DoD) Security Requirements Guidelines Level 4 controls and supports strictly regulated federal and defense information. This environment is used by federal agencies, the Defense Industrial Base (DIBs), and government contractors.
- Office 365 DoD (DoD): the Office 365 DoD cloud service is designed according to DoD Security Requirements Guidelines Level 5 controls and supports strict federal and defense regulations. This environment is for the exclusive use by the US Department of Defense.
Use this section to help meet your compliance obligations across regulated industries and global markets. To find out which services are available in which regions, see the International availability information and the Where your Microsoft 365 customer data is stored article. For more information about Office 365 Government cloud environment, see the Office 365 Government Cloud article.
Your organization is wholly responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Information provided in this section does not constitute legal advice and you should consult legal advisors for any questions regarding regulatory compliance for your organization.
Office 365 applicability and in-scope services
Use the following table to determine applicability for your Office 365 services and subscription:
|Client||Access, Excel, Office 365 admin portal for Android, Office 365 admin portal for iOS, Office Configuration Tool, Office Lens, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, SharePoint, To-Do, Visio, Whiteboard, Word|
|Commercial||Microsoft Entra ID, Bookings, Compliance Manager, Delve, Exchange Online, Forms, Kaizala, Microsoft Defender for Office 365, Microsoft Teams, MyAnalytics, Office 365 Advanced Compliance add-on, Office 365 and Microsoft Entra sign-in, Office 365 Business Center, Office 365 Customer Portal, Office 365 Security & Compliance Center, Office Online, Office Pro Plus, OneDrive for Business, OneDrive, Outlook Groups, Planner, PowerApps, Power Automate, Power BI, SharePoint Online, Skype for Business, StaffHub, Stream, Whiteboard, Viva Engage|
|GCC||Microsoft Entra ID, Compliance Manager, Delve, Exchange Online, Forms, Microsoft Defender for Office 365, Microsoft Teams, MyAnalytics, Office 365 Advanced Compliance add-on, Office 365 Customer Portal, Office 365 Security & Compliance Center, Office Online, Office Pro Plus, OneDrive for Business, Planner, PowerApps, Power Automate, Power BI, Skype for Business, Stream, Whiteboard|
|GCC High||Microsoft Entra ID, Exchange Online, Forms, Microsoft Defender for Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Advanced Compliance add-on, Office 365 Customer Portal, Office 365 Security & Compliance Center, Office Online, Office Pro Plus, OneDrive for Business, Planner, PowerApps, Power Automate, Power BI, Skype for Business, Whiteboard|
|DoD||Microsoft Entra ID, Exchange Online, Forms, Microsoft Defender for Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Advanced Compliance add-on, Office 365 Customer Portal, Office 365 Security & Compliance Center, Office Online, Office Pro Plus, OneDrive for Business, Planner, Power BI, Skype for Business, Whiteboard|
Microsoft accessibility conformance reports
Find conformance reports for all our products and services.
- Microsoft accessibility page: Explore the ways in which Microsoft innovates so everyone has the ability to achieve more.
- Office 365 Accessibility Center: Office 365 resources for people with disabilities.
- Enterprise Disability Answer Desk: Dedicated support for enterprise customers with accessibility questions about our products and services or compliance.
- DHS Trusted Tester Program: Get information about the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Trusted Tester Program, in which Microsoft participates.
- Compliance on the Microsoft Trust Center