Use 3D models with customer assets
Dynamics 365 Field Service allows organizations to upload 3D models for field technicians to reference in the field. Typically a 3d model relates to a specific product or customer asset and helps field technicians with equipment repair and other tasks. As opposed to recording videos or writing long manuals, field service organizations can leverage pre-existing 3D models to generate what are effectively 3D knowledge articles.
You can configure 3D models by using an N:N relationship between the 3D model and customer asset entities, which enables 3D models to be associated with customer assets.
In this topic, we'll walk through how to associate a 3D model record with a customer asset and then view the 3D model on Field Service Mobile.
- Dynamics 365 v9.0+
- Field Service v8.0+
- Ensure the 3D Viewer solution is installed in Settings > Customizations
- Increased storage for large 3D file sizes. You can do this by increasing attachment file size limit in Dynamics 365 administration, or by using Azure Blob storage.
To increase attachment file size in D365 administration:
- Go to Settings > Administration > System Settings
- Select the Email tab
- In the Set file size limit for attachments section, set the Maximum file size (in Kilobytes) to 131,072 KB. Then select Ok.
Finally, make sure that 3D file types are not blocked for attachments in the Dynamics 365 settings:
- Go to the General tab
- Scroll down to the Set blocked file extensions for attachments section
- Make sure GLB, GLTF, and OBJ are not listed
The supported file 3D viewer types are GLB, GLTF, and OBJ.
Open a 3D file
If you already have a 3D file, you can use Paint 3D to open it and save it as a GLB file.
- Open Paint 3D on your Windows 10 device.
- Select the 3D Library tab at the top.
- Select a model from the library and open it on the canvas. Edit or make changes if necessary.
- When done, select the Menu tab, go to the Save as copy section, and select 3D Model.
- Enter a File Name. For Save as type, select 3D-GLB(.glb). Then Save.
Associate customer assets with 3D models
Once you have your GLB, GLTF, or OBJ file, and you have configured your organization per the steps in this topic, you are ready to associate your 3D model with a customer asset.
- Open up the desired customer asset record and select the Related tab.
- Select 3D Models from the drop down.
- Select Add Existing 3D Model.
- A quick create form for 3D model will open. Select +New.
- Enter a Name for the 3D model.
- Select the Storage Type drop-down, and choose Note Attachment. Then Save the form.
- After saving the record, the Timeline section will appear. Select the paperclip icon to add a note with an attachment.
- When the file prompt appears, select your 3D file and then Open.
- After selecting a file, you should see the file attached with a paperclip icon next to it. Give the note a Title and then select Add note.
- After saving the note, it will appear on the timeline with the attached 3D file.
- To view the 3D file, scroll past the timeline section on the form. You can interact with the 3D viewer by scrolling, left-clicking, right-clicking and dragging.
- After saving and closing the form for the 3D model, you can then select it from the lookup on the 3D model quick create form.
- After selecting the 3D model record, select Add to associate that 3D model with the customer asset.
- The 3D model can then be accessed through the 3D model associated view on the customer asset record.