Add products to an opportunity
Develop your opportunity by adding products, bundles or families that you want to sell,upsell, and cross-sell.
License and role requirements
|Requirement type||You must have|
|License||Dynamics 365 Sales Premium, Dynamics 365 Sales Enterprise, or Dynamics 365 Sales Professional
More information: Dynamics 365 Sales pricing
|Security roles||Any primary sales role, such as salesperson or sales manager
More information: Primary sales roles
Find and add products to an opportunity
You can add a product that already exists in the Dynamics 365 Sales product catalog or add a write-in product. Any products added to an opportunity are automatically associated with quotes generated from the opportunity.
To find and add products:
From the list of opportunities, open the opportunity to which you want to add products.
Go to the Product line items tab.
Select a Price list. The price list determines the cost of the product.
By default, you must select a price list to be able to add products to an opportunity; however, your administrator can change your organization settings to make the Price list field optional.
If you want the estimated revenue of the opportunity to be calculated based on the total number of products, set Revenue to System Calculated. If you want to use a custom estimated revenue, set it to User Provided.
Select Add product.
In the Quick Create: Opportunity Product form, do the following:
Select Product: Set the switch to choose whether you want to add an existing product or create a new one:
To use an existing product, select Lookup to search for and add a product.
- When a price list is selected for the opportunity, the products listed in the Existing Product field are filtered by the price list. This means that only the products associated with the selected price list are shown in this field. In this case, the default view is set to Products in Parent Price List view. You can't set a custom view as the default view. Even if you do, the Products lookup will automatically set it back to Products in Parent Price List view.
- When a price list isn't selected, the Existing product field shows all active products (not filtered by the price list). You can change the view to look for other products by selecting the Change View icon.
- By default, the product lookup will show the most recently used products. The most recently used products aren't filtered based on the selected price list.
- If a price list is selected and you select a product that isn't associated with the price list, you'll see an error. Select a product that's associated with the selected price list.
To add an adhoc product, select Write-In, and then enter the name of the product.
Pricing: Select the pricing option. By default, this is the per unit price that's listed in the product catalog. To override the catalog price, select Override Price: When you override the price, you can specify a price that you want to charge for each unit of the product.
Quantity: Enter the quantity of the product or service that will be included.
Manual Discount: If you want to offer a discount to the product price, enter it here.
Tax: If required, enter the appropriate tax amount.
To save this product, and add more products, select Save and New.
The Product Line Items grid shows all the products that are associated with the opportunity. If you added an existing product from the product catalog, you can change the quantity and discount of the product inline in the Product Line Items grid. If you added a write-in product, you can also change the price of the product in addition to the quantity and discount.
You can take the following actions on the products added to the Product Line Items grid.
|Edit the properties of a product.||Double-click the product to update details such as the price, quantity, or discount of the added products.
|Delete a product associated with the opportunity.||Select the product, and on the command bar, select Delete Opportunity Product.|
|View products within a bundle.||Select the Chevron icon for the product bundle. You'll see all the products that are included in the bundle.|
|See and add related products for cross-selling or upselling, or select an accessory or substitute product.||Select a product, and select Suggestions in the products grid. The Suggestions pane shows all the products that are defined as related products for the current product. Select the related products that you want to add, and then select OK.|
|Group specific records together by moving a record up or down in the grid.||Select the record, select the more commands icon, and then select Move Up or Move Down.|
If your system administrator has enabled the enhanced "add product" experience for adding products to an opportunity, you'll see a different experience. To learn more, see Add products to an opportunity by using the enhanced experience.
Can't find the options in your app?
There are three possibilities:
- You don't have the necessary license or role.
- Your administrator hasn't turned on the feature.
- Your organization is using a custom app. Check with your administrator for exact steps. The steps described in this article are specific to the out-of-the-box Sales Hub and Sales Professional apps.