T-SQL surface area in Microsoft Fabric
Applies to: SQL Endpoint and Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric
This article covers the T-SQL language syntax capabilities of Microsoft Fabric, when querying the SQL Endpoint or Warehouse.
Microsoft Fabric is in preview.
T-SQL surface area
- Creating, altering, and dropping tables, and insert, update, and delete are only supported in Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric, not in the SQL Endpoint of the Lakehouse.
- You can create your own T-SQL views, functions, and procedures on top of the tables that reference your Delta Lake data in the SQL Endpoint of the Lakehouse.
- For more about CREATE/DROP TABLE support, see Tables.
- For more about data types, see Data types.
At this time, the following list of commands is NOT currently supported. Don't try to use these commands because even though they may appear to succeed, they could cause issues to your warehouse.
- ALTER TABLE ADD/ALTER/DROP COLUMN
- BULK LOAD
- CREATE ROLE
- CREATE SECURITY POLICY - Row Level Security (RLS)
- CREATE USER
- Identity Columns
- Manually created multi-column stats
- MASK and UNMASK (Dynamic Data Masking)
- MATERIALIZED VIEWS
- Queries targeting system and user tables
- Recursive queries
- Result Set Caching
- Schema and Table names can't contain / or \
- SELECT - FOR (except JSON)
- SET ROWCOUNT
- SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL
- Temp Tables