PlayFab User Generated Content
PlayFab User Generated Content (UGC) empowers your players to create, upload, and search for moderated content. Designed to provide out-of-the box capabilities that normally require custom work and service expertise to accomplish, our UGC services can enable you to build an engaging creator community around your title in no time! Watch our UGC Microsoft Game Dev video to learn more.
UGC provides the following key features:
- Easy-to-integrate APIs to allow you to build your own in-game experiences
- Moderation built into the publishing pipeline to ensure content is safe and appropriate for your players
- Search experiences to allow your UGC catalog to scale and players to quickly find interesting content for them
- Review and reporting capabilities to empower players to keep the quality high
There are a few common terms used throughout the UGC service:
- Catalog - Catalogs are a place for you to store and manage your content. There are two main catalogs, the draft catalog and the public catalog which store draft and published items, respectively
- (Published) Items - PlayFab UGC Items are data blobs containing information about a specific item. Published Items are accessible to other players through the
- Draft Items - Draft Items are accessible to only the item creator and the
TitleEntity. Draft Items can become Published Items by calling the
- Content - Content are the images and files that are uploaded to Items
Limitations and important considerations
Before playing around with the UGC features and APIs, there are a few limitations and important considerations you should know about the service:
- UGC only supports PlayFab Entities - you will need to use entity-based authentication to utilize UGC.
- UGC does not work with PlayFab Economy (Legacy) APIs - it is a separate service built on top of the Economy v2 system.