Use the employee learning API to integrate with Viva Learning
Viva Learning is a centralized employee learning hub in Microsoft Teams that lets employees integrate learning and building skills into their work day. In Viva Learning, teams can discover, share, recommend, and learn from content libraries provided by both their organization and partners. They can quickly access assigned or recently completed learning content, and do all of this without leaving Microsoft Teams.
The employee learning API in Microsoft Graph enables apps to make content from a Learning Management System (LMS) or learning provider available in Viva Learning. Use the following resources to integrate with Viva Learning:
- Learning provider to manage learning providers, including registering and deleting providers.
- Learning content to upload and manage learning content metadata from your LMS or learning provider in Viva Learning.
- Learning course activities to upload and manage learner course activity records from your LMS or learning provider in Viva Learning.
How do integrations work?
As administrators, you can integrate your content and learner records (employee assignments and completed course records) from your LMS or learning provider with Viva Learning, by using out-of-the-box integrations where Viva Learning can pull content metadata and learning records from your LMS or learning provider. You can also use the employee learning API in Microsoft Graph to push content metadata from your LMS or learning provider into Viva Learning.
When the content metadata, employee assignments, and their completed course records are uploaded to Viva Learning, they appear in Viva Learning at the following locations:
- The content appears on the home page under the Browse courses – Providers section.
- Assignments and completed course records appear on the My Learning page under the Assigned to you and Completed sections, respectively.
With the appropriate delegated or application employee learning permissions, your app can use the employee learning API to manage learning providers and their content for a learning hub in a tenant. For more information about access tokens, app registration, and delegated and application permissions, see Authentication and authorization basics.
Use cases for the employee learning API in Microsoft Graph
Use the employee learning APIs to do the following:
- Manage learning providers:
- Register a provider with Viva Learning, provide a display name, square logo that is displayed on a learning content card, and a long logo that is displayed in the Details page, which is required for the provider content to show up in Viva Learning. The returned registration ID can be used to make the subsequent calls for content ingestion.
- Get the details about a provider in Viva Learning for a specific registrationId.
- Get the list of provider registrations in Viva Learning for a tenant.
- Delete a registration of a provider in Viva Learning.
- Create and manage learning content:
- Push content metadata to Viva Learning to make content available within Viva Learning for consumption by users.
- Get a list of the metadata of a provider's ingested content by using the registrationId of a provider.
- Get the specified metadata of a provider's ingested content in Viva Learning.
- Delete the specfied metadata of a provider's ingested content.
- Create and manage learning course activity:
Find out about the latest new features and updates for this API set.
- Enable employee learning using the collaborative capabilities in Teams.
- Try the employee learning API in the Graph Explorer.