How to use Resource Explorer to view software inventory in Configuration Manager
Applies to: Configuration Manager (current branch)
Use Resource Explorer in Configuration Manager to view information about software inventory that has been collected from computers in your hierarchy.
Resource Explorer will not display any inventory data until a software inventory cycle has run on the client.
Resource Explorer provides the following software inventory information:
Collected Files - Files that were collected during software inventory.
File Details - Files that were inventoried during software inventory that are not associated with a specific product or manufacturer.
Last Software Scan - Date and time of the last software inventory and file collection for the client computer.
Product Details - Software products that were inventoried by software inventory, grouped by manufacturer.
To run Resource Explorer from the Configuration Manager console
In the Configuration Manager console, choose Assets and Compliance
In the Assets and Compliance workspace, choose Devices or open any collection that displays devices.
Choose the computer containing the inventory that you want to view and then, in the Home tab > Devices group, choose Start > Resource Explorer.
You can right-click any item in the right-pane of the Resource Explorer window and choose Properties to view the collected inventory information in a more readable format.
Starting in Configuration Manager version 2002, use Resource Explorer to view and manage the files gathered when you use client notification to collect client logs.
- From the Devices node, right-click on the device you want to view logs for.
- Select Start, then Resource Explorer.
- From Resource Explorer, click on Diagnostic Files.
- In the Diagnostic Files list, you can see the collection date for the files. The name format of the client logs is
- Right-click on the zip file and select one of the following options:
- Open Support Center: Launches Support Center.
- Copy: Copies the row information from Resource Explorer.
- View file: Opens the folder where the zip file is located with File Explorer.
- Save: Opens a Save File dialog for the selected file.
- Export: Saves the Resource Explorer columns shown in Diagnostic Files.
- Refresh: Refreshes the file list.
- Properties: Returns the properties on the selected file.
Use Support Center to view collected diagnostic files.
Submit and view feedback for