Tenant attach: Device timeline in the admin center
Applies to: Configuration Manager (current branch)
The Microsoft Intune family of products is an integrated solution for managing all of your devices. Microsoft brings together Configuration Manager and Intune into a single console called Microsoft Intune admin center. When Configuration Manager synchronizes a device to Microsoft Intune through tenant attach, you can see a timeline of events. This timeline shows past activity on the device that can help you troubleshoot problems.
The following items are needed to use the timeline from the admin center:
- All of the prerequisites for Tenant attach: ConfigMgr client details.
- Enable Endpoint analytics data collection in Configuration Manager:
- In the Configuration Manager console, go to Administration > Client Settings > Default Client Settings.
- Right-click and select Properties then select the Computer Agent settings.
- Set Enable Endpoint analytics data collection to Yes.
- Only events collected after the client receives this policy will be visible in the admin center. Events prior to receiving the policy won't be accessible.
The user account needs the following permissions:
- The Read permission for the device's Collection in Configuration Manager.
- The Read Resource permission under Collection in Configuration Manager.
- The Notify Resource permission under Collection in Configuration Manager.
- An Intune role assigned to the user
Devices send events once a day to the admin center. Only events collected after the client receives the Enable Endpoint analytics data collection policy are visible in the admin center. Generate test events easily by installing an application or an update from Configuration Manager, or restart the device. Events are kept for 30 days. Use the chart to view events that are collected.
|Event name||Provider name||Event ID|
|Application Error||Application Error||1000|
|Application Hang||Application Hang||1002|
|Application Crash||Windows Error Reporting||1001|
|Windows Update Agent – Update Installation||Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient||19|
|Boundary Group Change||Microsoft-ConfigMgr||20000|
|Configuration Manager – Update Installation||Microsoft-ConfigMgr||20002|
|Firmware version change||Microsoft-ConfigMgr||20003|
|Configuration Manager Reboot request||Microsoft-ConfigMgr||20005|
View the timeline
In a browser, go to the Microsoft Intune admin center.
Select Devices then All Devices.
Select a device that is synced from Configuration Manager via tenant attach.
Select Timeline. By default, you're shown events from the last 24 hours.
- Use the Filter button to change the Time range, Event levels, and Provider name.
- If you select on an event, you'll see the detailed message for it.
- Select Sync to fetch the recent data generated on client. The device sends events once a day to the admin center by default.
- Select Refresh to reload the page and to see newly collected events.
You will receive a time out error if the following condition applies:
- You're opening Timeline for the very first time after restarting SMSExecutive on the service connection point's on-premises server.
To work around the issue, reload the Timeline page.
Submit and view feedback for