Android device administrator enrollment
Android device administrator (sometimes referred to "legacy" Android management and released with Android 2.2) is a way to manage Android devices. However, improved management functionality is available with Android Enterprise. In an effort to move to modern, richer, and more secure device management, Google is decreasing device administrator support in new Android releases.
Therefore, to avoid such reduced functionality, we advise against enrolling new devices using the device administrator process described below.
For the same reasons, we also recommend that you migrate devices off of device administrator management if the devices are going to update to Android 10.
In areas where Android Enterprise is available(opens Google documentation), Google is encouraging people to move away from device administrator (DA) management by decreasing its management support in new Android releases.
In areas where Android Enterprise is unavailable, or for devices incapable of integrating with Google Mobile Services, we still recommend using DA as your management solution in Microsoft Intune. For more information about using DA when Google Mobile Services are unavailable, see How to use Intune in environments without Google Mobile Services.
DA is currently the recommended management solution for Microsoft Teams certified Android devices.
If you still decide to have users enroll their Android devices with device administrator management, continue to the next section.
For more information about Google's Android Enterprise features, see these articles:
- Google's guidance for migration from device administrator to Android Enterprise
- Google's documentation on the plan to deprecate the device administrator API
Set up device administrator enrollment
- To prepare to manage mobile devices, you must set the mobile device management (MDM) authority to Microsoft Intune. See Set the MDM authority for instructions. You set this item only once, when you are first setting up Intune for mobile device management.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Intune admin center and choose > Devices > Android > Android enrollment > Personal and corporate-owned devices with device administration privileges > Use device administrator to manage devices.
- Tell your users how to enroll their devices.
After a user has enrolled, you can begin managing their devices in Intune, including assigning compliance policies, managing apps, and more.
For information about other user tasks, see these articles:
Block device administrator enrollment
To block Android device administrator devices, or to block only personally owned Android device administrator devices from enrollment, see Set device type restrictions.
Submit and view feedback for