Require multifactor authentication for Intune device enrollments
Intune can use Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) Conditional Access policies to require multifactor authentication (MFA) for device enrollment to help you secure your corporate resources.
MFA works by requiring any two or more of the following verification methods:
- Something you know (typically a password or PIN).
- Something you have (a trusted device that isn't easily duplicated, like a phone).
- Something you are (biometrics, like a fingerprint).
MFA is supported for iOS/iPadOS, macOS, Android, and Windows 8.1 or later devices.
When you enable MFA, end users need a second device, and must supply two forms of credentials to enroll a device.
Configure Intune to require multifactor authentication at device enrollment
To require MFA when a device is enrolled, follow these steps:
You must have an Azure Active Directory Premium P1 or above assigned to your users to implement this policy.
Don't configure Device based access rules for Microsoft Intune enrollment.
Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center.
Browse to Devices > Conditional Access. The Conditional Access node accessed from Intune is the same node as accessed from Azure AD.
Choose New policy.
Give your policy a name. We recommend that organizations create a meaningful standard for the names of their policies.
Under Assignments, select Users or workload identities.
- Under Include, select Select users or groups, and check Users and groups. Then select the users and/or groups that will receive this policy
- Choose Select.
Under Cloud apps or actions > Include.
- Choose Select apps > Microsoft Intune Enrollment.
- Choose Select. By choosing Microsoft Intune Enrollment, Conditional Access MFA is applied only to the enrollment of the device (one-time MFA prompt).
For Apple Automated Device Enrollments using Setup assistant with modern authentication, you have two options:
Cloud app MFA prompt location Automated Device Enrollment notes Microsoft Intune Setup Assistant,
Company Portal app
With this option, MFA is required during enrollment and for each login to the Company Portal app/Company Portal website. Conditional Access MFA is applied only to the login of the Company Portal on the device. Microsoft Intune Enrollment Setup Assistant With this option, MFA is applied only to the enrollment of the device (one-time MFA prompt). Conditional Access MFA is applied only to the login of the Company Portal on the device.
Under Conditions you don't need to configure any settings for MFA.
Under Access controls > Grant
- Select Require multifactor authentication and Require device to be marked as compliant.
- Ensure Require all the selected controls is selected under For multiple controls.
- Choose Select.
- Select Sign-in frequency.
- Ensure Every time is selected.
- Select Select.
In New policy, choose Enable policy > On, and then choose Create.
A second device is required to complete the MFA challenge for corporate devices like the following:
- Android Enterprise Fully Managed.
- Android Enterprise Corporate Owned Work Profile.
- iOS/iPadOS Automated Device Enrollment.
- macOS Automated Device Enrollment.
The second device is required because the primary device can't receive calls or text messages during the provisioning process.
When end users enroll their device, they now must authenticate with a second form of identification, like a PIN, a phone, or biometrics.
Submit and view feedback for