Set up web based device enrollment for iOS
Applies to iOS/iPadOS
Set up web-based device enrollment in Microsoft Intune for iOS/iPadOS personal devices. This is one of two Apple device enrollment methods supported in Microsoft Intune, with the other being device enrollment with the Company Portal app. Both methods give you access to a limited but appropriate set of device management settings and actions for bring-your-own-device (BYOD) scenarios, so you can protect work data without affecting the device user's personal data or apps.
Web-based device enrollment provides a faster and more user-friendly enrollment experience. The Company Portal app isn't required because employees and students do everything in Safari and in their device settings. Additionally, web-based device enrollment works with JIT registration. When it's enabled, Intune uses JIT registration with the Microsoft Authenticator app for registration of the device and single sign-on (SSO) to reduce the number of times users have to sign in during enrollment and when accessing work apps.
This article describes how to set up web based device enrollment in Microsoft Intune. You will:
- Set up JIT registration.
- Create an enrollment profile.
- Prepare employees and students for enrollment.
Microsoft Intune supports web-based device enrollment on devices running iOS/iPadOS version 15 or later. If you assign a web-based enrollment profile to device users running iOS/iPadOS 14.9 or earlier, Microsoft Intune will automatically enroll them via app-based device enrollment. App-based device enrollment requires the Company Portal app for iOS/iPadOS.
Before beginning setup, complete the following tasks:
Deploy the web app version of Intune Company Portal so that device users have quick access to device status, device actions, and compliance information. The web app appears on the home screen and functions as a link to the Company Portal website. For more information about how to add a web app, see Add web apps to Microsoft Intune. Without the web app, devices users can still access the Company Portal website, but they have to open the browser and enter the website link.
The Microsoft Authenticator app is required for work or school access. We recommend telling employees and students to install Microsoft Authenticator before they begin device enrollment.
Step 1: Set up just in time registration
Create a device configuration, single sign-on app extension policy to enable just-in-time (JIT) registration. For steps, see Set up JIT registration in Intune. Return to this article when you're done so you can continue to the next step.
Step 2: Create enrollment profile
Create an enrollment profile for devices enrolling via web-based device enrollment. The enrollment profile triggers the device user's enrollment experience, and enables them to initiate enrollment in Safari.
- In the Microsoft Intune admin center, go to Devices > iOS/iPadOS > iOS/iPadOS enrollment.
- Select Enrollment types.
- Select Create profile > iOS/iPadOS.
- On the Basics page, enter a name and description for the profile so that you can distinguish it from other profiles in the admin center. Device users don't see these details.
- Select Next.
- On the Settings page, for Enrollment type, select Web based device enrollment.
- Select Next.
- On the Assignments page, assign the profile to all devices, or select specific groups.
- Select Next.
- On the Review + create page, review your choices, and then select Create to finish creating the profile.
Return to Enrollment types to see a list of your enrollment profiles. Intune applies enrollment profiles in the order you prioritize them. If a conflict occurs because a user is assigned more than one profile, Intune applies the profile with the higher priority. Drag and drop the profiles in the list to reposition them and change the order in which they're applied.
Step 3: Prepare employees for enrollment
When an employee attempts to sign into a work app on their personal device, the app alerts them to the enrollment requirement and redirects them to the Company Portal website for enrollment.
Alternatively, you can provide employees and students with a URL that opens the Company Portal website. If you aren't utilizing conditional access, it's important to share the enrollment link with device users so that they know how to initiate enrollment. The link to share is:
This section provides the high-level enrollment steps for device users. We recommend using this information in your organization's device onboarding documentation or for troubleshooting and support.
- Open Safari and sign in to the Company Portal website with your work or school account using one of the following links:
- When prompted to, download the management profile. Wait in Safari while Company Portal downloads the management profile.
- Go to your device settings app to view and install the management profile.
- Wait until Microsoft Authenticator is installed on the device before signing into a work or school app. The device won't be ready for work use until Authenticator is on the device, which can take a few minutes. To verify that Authenticator installed, open your device settings and go to Profile > Management Profile > Single Sign On Extension. Authenticator should be listed as the SSO extension.
- Sign in to a work app, such as Microsoft Teams, with your work account.
- Wait while the app identifies required setting updates. For example, you may be required to update your device's operating system before you can use the app. Check the app you're signed into for pending action items. When you're done making changes, select Recheck.
After compliance checks are complete, users can access apps configured with the SSO app extension policy for the rest of their session without needing to sign in again.
Removing device from management
The volume and cryptographic keys created to manage the work data on the device are erased when the device unenrolls from Intune.
Onboarding documentation resources
For end user help and how-to guides, see Microsoft Intune user help docs. Feel free to use the articles in that doc set as templates for your organization's onboarding resources.
For more details about Apple Device Enrollment features and functionality, see Device Enrollment and MDM on the Apple support website.
For information about how to troubleshoot device enrollment issues in Microsoft Intune, see Troubleshoot device enrollment.