Microsoft Defender XDR prerequisites
Want to experience Microsoft Defender XDR? Learn more about how you can evaluate and pilot Microsoft Defender XDR.
- Microsoft Defender XDR
Learn about licensing and other requirements for provisioning and using Microsoft Defender XDR.
Any of these licenses gives you access to Microsoft Defender XDR features via the Microsoft Defender portal without additional cost:
- Microsoft 365 E5 or A5
- Microsoft 365 E3 with the Microsoft 365 E5 Security add-on
- Microsoft 365 E3 with the Enterprise Mobility + Security E5 add-on
- Microsoft 365 A3 with the Microsoft 365 A5 Security add-on
- Windows 10 Enterprise E5 or A5
- Windows 11 Enterprise E5 or A5
- Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) E5 or A5
- Office 365 E5 or A5
- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
- Microsoft Defender for Identity
- Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps or Cloud App Discovery
- Microsoft Defender for Office 365 (Plan 2)
- Microsoft 365 Business Premium
- Microsoft Defender for Business
For more information, view the Microsoft 365 Enterprise service plans.
Don't have license yet? Try or buy a Microsoft 365 subscription
Check your existing licenses
Go to Microsoft 365 admin center (admin.microsoft.com) to view your existing licenses. In the admin center, go to Billing > Licenses.
You need to be assigned either the Billing admin or Global reader role in Microsoft Entra ID to be able to see license information. If you encounter access problems, contact a global admin.
You must be a global administrator or a security administrator in Microsoft Entra ID to turn on Microsoft Defender XDR. For the list of roles required to use Microsoft Defender XDR and information on how access to data is regulated, read about managing access to Microsoft Defender XDR.
Access Microsoft Defender XDR in the Microsoft Defender portal using Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, or any HTML 5 compliant web browser.
Availability to US GCC, GCC High, and other US government institutions
For information related to US Government customers, see Microsoft Defender XDR for US Government customers.
Currently, the Microsoft Defender for Office 365 integration into the unified Microsoft Defender XDR features are not available to customers in the following Office 365 datacenter locations:
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
Do you want to learn more? Engage with the Microsoft Security community in our Tech Community: Microsoft Defender XDR Tech Community.