Malware Defense Guide
Published: May 20, 2004 | Updated: January 5, 2011
The Malware Defense Guide Beta replaces the *Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide. * The previously available guidance—published in 2004--is out of date with regard to available products and current defense strategies.
Get an early version of Malware Defense Guide by joining the Security Solution Accelerators Beta Review Program. See “Get the Beta” on this page for information about getting started.
About This Solution Accelerator
The guide provides instructions and recommendations to help defend your IT infrastructure against malware attacks. The Malware Defense Guide Beta was designed to provide your organization with the latest information to plan the most cost-effective defense approach to malicious software (also called malware), detailing considerations for planning and implementing a comprehensive antimalware defense for your organization. This guide is intended for IT pros who want information and recommendations that they can use to effectively address and limit malware that infects computers in any size organization.
Included in the Download
The Malware Defense Guide includes the following component:
- Malware Defense Guide Beta.docx
In More Detail
Following a brief introduction, the guide goes into detail on the following steps necessary to plan and implement a malware defense:
- Step 1: Identify Potential Risks
- Step 2: Protect the Network
- Step 3: Protect Client Computers
- Step 4: Protect Servers
- Step 5: Implement Physical Security
- Step 6: Implement Security Policies and Education
- Step 7: Create an Incident Response Plan
Get the Beta
The Malware Defense Guide is available as a beta release on the Microsoft Connect Web site. To join the Security Solution Accelerators Beta Review Program and download the beta guide, do the following:
- Visit the Microsoft Connect Web site at https://connect.microsoft.com/site715/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=2663&InvitationID=MALW-K77W-WVCQ.
- Sign in using a valid Windows Live ID.
- Click Downloads in the left hand navigation menu to choose from a list of available downloads.
If you have not previously registered with Microsoft Connect, you will be required to register before continuing with the invitation process.
If the link in step 1 does not work for you, copy the link and paste it into the Web browser address bar.
- See other Solution Accelerators that focus on security at the Security Solution Accelerators site on Microsoft TechNet.
- The following resources provide additional information about security topics and in-depth discussion of the concepts in this guide:
- To learn more about the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, which provides the latest information on major desktop and email threats to computers running Windows, visit https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal.
Community and Feedback
- Want to know what’s coming up next? Check out our Security Guidance Blog.
- E-mail your feedback to the following address: SecWish@microsoft.com
- If you’ve used a Solution Accelerator within your organization, please share your experience with us by completing this short survey (less than ten minutes long).
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT professionals plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Register to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as
- Communication & Collaboration
- Security, Data Protection, & Recovery
- Operations & Management