Import a certificate
Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2
To import a certificate
Open the Certificates console for the user, computer, or service you want to manage.
For instructions on creating a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) that allows you to manage the certificates of a user account, computer account, or service account, see the appropriate article from the following list
- Manage certificates for your user account
- Manage certificates for a computer
- Manage certificates for a service
- For more information on the Certificates console and changing View Options, see Certificates Console (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=209851).
Select a certificate store for the certificate type you want to import. For example, you might select the Personal store under Certificates (Local Computer).
On the Action menu, point to All Tasks and then click Import to start the Certificate Import Wizard.
Type the file name containing the certificate to be imported. (You can also click Browse and navigate to the file.)
If it is a PKCS #12 file, do the following:
Type the password used to encrypt the private key.
(Optional) If you want to be able to use strong private key protection, select the Enable strong private key protection check box.
(Optional) If you want to back up or transport your keys at a later time, select the Mark key as exportable check box.
Do one of the following:
If the certificate should be automatically placed in a certificate store based on the type of certificate, click Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate.
If you want to specify where the certificate is stored, select Place all certificates in the following store, click Browse, and choose the certificate store to use.
Information about functional differences
- Your server might function differently based on the version and edition of the operating system that is installed, your account permissions, and your menu settings. For more information, see Viewing Help on the Web.
Importing and exporting certificates
Manage certificates for your user account
Manage certificates for a computer
Manage certificates for a service
Display certificate stores in Logical Store mode
Export a certificate
Move a certificate