Event ID 8193 — Volume Shadow Copy Service Operations
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
The Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) provides the ability to create a point in time image (shadow copy) of one or more volumes that can be used to perform backups. The service is also used during restores of applications.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine %1. hr = %2. %3|
Determine the cause of the error condition and contact the appropriate vendor
This event indicates that an unexpected Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) error has occurred.
To troubleshoot this error condition, you need to determine what caused it by using the Event Viewer and then contact the vendor that created the Vdata protection application that uses VSS. Also, you should check that the VSS service is enabled.
To perform these procedures, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
Open Event Viewer and view events related to VSS requester applications
To open Event Viewer and view events related to VSS requester applications:
- Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc, and then click OK. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, ensure that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue
- In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, and then click Application.
- To filter the events so that only events with a Source of VSS are shown, in the Actions pane, click Filter Current Log. On the Filter tab, in the Event sources drop-down list, select the checkbox for VSS. Select other options as appropriate, and then click OK.
- Click the Date and Time column heading to sort the events based on date and time.
- Review the events that have a similar date and date as this event.
- Click the related event, and then click Event Log Online Help at the bottom of the General tab.
- Follow the instructions to resolve the error. If the error cannot be resolved, contact the vendor whose application caused the error. If the vendor is Microsoft, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support. For more information, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=102491. You should provide the entire event log message as it appears in the Event Viewer.
Check that the VSS service is enabled
To check that the VSS service is enabled:
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
- In the results pane, double-click Volume Shadow Copy.
- Ensure that Startup type is set to Manual.
- Click OK.
To verify that the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is operating correctly, retry the previous VSS operation.