Recommended sync app configuration
For the best performance, reliability, and user experience, follow these "ideal state" recommendations when you configure the OneDrive sync app.
|Updates and rings||Windows Notification Service||Files On-Demand and Storage Sense||
|Silent account configuration||Known Folder Move|
|Allow traffic. Select some people for the Insiders ring and leave the rest in Production||Allow traffic||Keep Files On-Demand enabled and enable Storage Sense policies||Keep Office collaboration enabled||Enable the policy||Enable the policies|
Updates and rings
- Allow access to oneclient.sfx.ms and g.live.com. Computers must be able to reach these URLs to apply updates and bug fixes, and enable or disable features. Updates are installed automatically, so you don't need to package and deploy them. Because OneDrive runs in the background, updates are also installed silently and don't impact users.
- Use the Insiders and Production rings. Select several people in your IT department as early adopters to join the Insiders ring and receive features early. Leave everyone else in the organization on the default Production ring to ensure they receive bug fixes and new features in a timely fashion. This recommendation applies even if you are on the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel for Windows and Office. For more info about the rings, see Sync app update process. To set the update ring on Windows, see Set the sync app update ring. To set it on Mac, see Deploy and configure the new OneDrive sync app for Mac.
Windows Notification Service
Make sure connection to the service is enabled. Work with your network team to make sure proxies:
- Allow network traffic to bypass *.wns.windows.com
- Avoid HTTPS decryption for *.wns.windows.com.
This applies to both Windows and Mac. See the complete list of required URL and IP address ranges.
Files On-Demand and Storage Sense
- Keep Files On-Demand enabled. OneDrive Files On-Demand helps users access all their files (individual or shared) without having to download them and use storage space. This setting is on by default for Windows 10 and Mac. To check this setting for Windows, see Use OneDrive Files On-Demand. To check it for Mac, see Deploy and configure the new OneDrive sync app for Mac.
- Use Storage Sense policies on PCs. These policies let you automatically clean up "locally available" files users haven't explicitly pinned as "always available". More info about Storage policies
- Keep Office file collaboration enabled Office uses differential sync to sync only changes instead of the entire file each time. This makes sync faster and reduces network bandwidth. This setting is on by default on Windows and Mac. For more info, see Coauthor and share in Office desktop apps. For info about this setting for Mac, see Deploy and configure the new OneDrive sync app for Mac.
Silent account configuration
- Silently configure user accounts on PCs. When you enable the silent account configuration policy, users are signed in automatically so they don't need to open OneDrive or enter their password. For more info, see Use silent account configuration.
Known Folder Move
Windows users are familiar and comfortable with saving files to their Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders from years of developing it as a habit. When you redirect and move these folders to OneDrive, users can continue saving files to these locations and they're backed up and available from any device. For more info, see Redirect known folders.
- On new PCs, enable the silent policy. Silently move Windows known folders to OneDrive
- On existing PCs, gradually enable the prompt and/or silent policy. About the Known Folder Move Group Policy objects
Submit and view feedback for