What's new for SQL Server 2019 on Linux
Applies to: SQL Server 2019 (15.x) - Linux
This article describes the major features and services available for SQL Server 2019 running on Linux. For package downloads and known issues, see the Release notes.
SLES 15 supported
Starting with SQL Server 2019 CU14, SLES 15 is now supported. Check out our Quickstart on Installing SQL Server and creating a database on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 supported
- Starting with SQL Server 2019 CU3, Ubuntu 18.04 is now supported.
- Starting with SQL Server 2019 CU10, Ubuntu 20.04 is now supported.
- Check out our Quickstart on Installing SQL Server and creating a database on Ubuntu.
RHEL 8 supported
Starting with SQL Server 2019 CU1, RHEL 8 is now supported. Check out our Quickstart on Installing SQL Server and creating a database on Red Hat.
The updates have been made in SQL Server 2019 on Linux:
|New feature or update||Details|
|Replication support||SQL Server Replication on Linux|
|Support for the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC)||How to configure MSDTC on Linux|
|OpenLDAP support for third-party Active Directory providers||Tutorial: Use Active Directory authentication with SQL Server on Linux|
|Machine Learning on Linux||Configure Machine Learning on Linux|
||By default, a new installation of SQL Server on Linux creates multiple
|PolyBase on Linux||Install PolyBase on Linux for non-Hadoop connectors.
PolyBase type mapping.
|Change Data Capture (CDC) support||Change Data Capture (CDC) is now supported on Linux for SQL Server 2019.|
|Microsoft Container Registry||The Microsoft Container Registry now replaces Docker Hub for new official Microsoft container images, including SQL Server 2019 (15.x).|
|Non-root containers||SQL Server 2019 (15.x) introduces the ability to create safer containers by starting the SQL Server process as a non-root user by default. See build and run SQL Server containers as a non-root user for more details.|
To install SQL Server on Linux, use one of the following tutorials:
- Install on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Install on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Install on Ubuntu
- Run on a Linux container
- Provision a SQL VM in Azure
- Ideas for SQL: Have suggestions for improving SQL Server?
- Microsoft Q & A (SQL Server)
- DBA Stack Exchange (tag sql-server): Ask SQL Server questions
- Stack Overflow (tag sql-server): Answers to SQL development questions
- Reddit: General discussion about SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server License Terms and Information
- Support options for business users
- Contact Microsoft
- Additional SQL Server help and feedback