Installing SSMA for MySQL client (MySQLToSQL)
The SSMA for MySQL client consists of the program files that perform the following tasks:
- Connect to a MySQL database.
- Connect to an instance of SQL Server or Azure SQL Database.
- Convert the MySQL database objects to the SQL Server or Azure SQL Database objects.
- Load the objects into SQL Server or Azure SQL Database.
- Migrate data to SQL Server or Azure SQL Database.
This topic provides the installation prerequisites and instructions for installing SSMA for MySQL client.
SSMA for MySQL is designed to work with MySQL 4.1 or later versions and all editions of SQL Server 2012 or later, and Azure SQL Database.
Before you install SSMA, make sure that the computer meets the following requirements:
- Windows 7 or later versions, or Windows Server 2008 or later versions.
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 or a later version.
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.2 or a later version. You can obtain it from the .NET Framework Developer Center.
- MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver and connectivity to the MySQL databases that you want to migrate. You can install the MySQL from the MySQL Web site. For information about connectivity, see Connecting to MySQL (MySQLToSQL).
- Access to and sufficient permissions on the computer that hosts the target instance of SQL Server where you will be migrating database objects and data. For more information, see Connecting to SQL Server (MySQLToSQL).
- In case of Azure SQL Database projects, access to and sufficient permissions to the instance of Azure SQL Database where you will be migrating database objects and data. For more information, see Connecting to Azure SQL Database (MySQLToSQL).
- 4 GB RAM recommended.
Installing SSMA for MySQL client
SSMA is a Web download. To download the latest version, see the SQL Server Migration Assistant download page.
To install the SSMA client:
Double-click SSMAforMySQL_n.msi, where n is the build number.
On the Welcome page, click Next.
If you do not have the prerequisites installed, a message will appear indicating that you must first install the required components. Make sure that you have installed all the prerequisites before running the installation program again.
Read the End-User License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the agreement, and then click Next.
On the Choose Setup Type page, click Typical.
On the Ready to Install page you can enable or disable telemetry and automatic update checks every time the tool starts. Click Install to start the installation.
Please uninstall all prior versions of SSMA for MySQL before installing the new version.
The default installation location is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL.