Install SSMA for Oracle client (OracleToSQL)
The SSMA client consists of the program files that perform the following tasks:
- Connect to an Oracle database.
- Connect to an instance of SQL Server.
- Convert Oracle database objects to SQL Server syntax.
- Load the objects into SQL Server.
- Migrate data to SQL Server.
This article provides the installation prerequisites and instructions for installing SSMA.
SSMA is designed to work with Oracle 9 or later versions and all editions of SQL Server.
Before you install SSMA, make sure that the computer meets the following requirements:
- Windows 7 or later versions, or Windows Server 2008 or later versions.
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 or a later version.
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.2 or a later version. You can obtain it from the .NET Framework Developer Center.
- Connectivity to the Oracle databases that you want to migrate.
- Access to and sufficient permissions on the computer that hosts the target instance of SQL Server or Azure SQL Database where you are migrating database objects and data. For more information, see Connecting to SQL Server (OracleToSQL).
- 4 GB of RAM recommended.
Install the SSMA for Oracle client
SSMA is a Web download. To download the latest version, see the SQL Server Migration Assistant download page.
To install the SSMA client:
Double-click SSMAforOracle_n.msi, where n is the build number.
On the Welcome page, select Next.
If you don't have the prerequisites installed, a message appears that indicates that you must first install required components. Make sure that you have installed all prerequisites, and then run the installation program again.
Read the End-User License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the agreement, and then select Next.
On the Choose Setup Type page, select Typical.
On the Ready to Install page, you can enable or disable telemetry and automatic update checks every time the tool starts. Select Install to start the installation.
Please uninstall all prior versions of SSMA for Oracle before installing the new version.
The default installation location is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Oracle.
In addition to the SSMA program files, you must also install the SSMA for Oracle Extension Pack on SQL Server. For more information, see Installing SSMA Components on SQL Server.